The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine

The John F. Kennedy Space Center (KSC, originally known as the NASA Launch Operations Center), located on Merritt Island, Florida, is one of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) ten field centers. Since December 1968, KSC has been NASA's primary launch center of human spaceflight. Launch operations for the Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle programs were carried out from Kennedy Space Center Launch Complex 39 and managed by KSC. Located on the east coast of Florida, KSC is adjacent to Cape Canaveral Space Force Station (CCSFS). The management of the two entities work very closely together, share resources and operate facilities on each other's property.

Though the first Apollo flights and all Project Mercury and Project Gemini flights took off from the then-Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, the launches were managed by KSC and its previous organization, the Launch Operations Directorate. Starting with the fourth Gemini mission, the NASA launch control center in Florida (Mercury Control Center, later the Launch Control Center) began handing off control of the vehicle to the Mission Control Center in Houston, shortly after liftoff; in prior missions it held control throughout the entire mission.

Additionally, the center manages launch of robotic and commercial crew missions and researches food production and In-Situ Resource Utilization for off-Earth exploration. Since 2010, the center has worked to become a multi-user spaceport through industry partnerships, even adding a new launch pad (LC-39C) in 2015.

There are about 700 facilities and buildings grouped across the center's 144,000 acres (580 km2). Among the unique facilities at KSC are the 525-foot (160 m) tall Vehicle Assembly Building for stacking NASA's largest rockets, the Launch Control Center, which conducts space launches at KSC, the Operations and Checkout Building, which houses the astronauts dormitories and suit-up area, a Space Station factory, and a 3-mile (4.8 km) long Shuttle Landing Facility. There is also a Visitor Complex open to the public on site.

Kennedy Space Center Media

60,736 media by topicpage 1 of 608
Space Shuttle Discovery, STS-51 G Launch

Space Shuttle Discovery, STS-51 G Launch

(June 17, 1985) On June 17, 1985, Space Shuttle Discovery's STS-51 G mission launched on a Comsat deployment mission. It deployed three communication satellites. The mission lasted a little over seven days. ..I... More

Astronaut Edward White Ready For Gemini IV Liftoff

Astronaut Edward White Ready For Gemini IV Liftoff

(June 3, 1965) Astronaut Edward H. White II, pilot for NASA's Gemini IV mission is shown in the crew's ready room at Launch Complex 16, suited and ready to ride the van to Launch Complex 19 for insertion in the... More

Space Shuttle Atlantis, STS-135 Launch

Space Shuttle Atlantis, STS-135 Launch

(July 8, 2011) Space Shuttle Atlantis' STS-135 mission launched from Launch Pad 39A at Kennedy Space Center on July 8, 2011. STS-135 was the last Space Shuttle mission. The crew of four delivered supplies to th... More

WESH-TV 2 News Anchor Wendy Chioji tours the Orbiter Processing Facility. KSC-02PD-1420

WESH-TV 2 News Anchor Wendy Chioji tours the Orbiter Processing Facili...

WESH-TV 2 News Anchor Wendy Chioji tours the Orbiter Processing Facility.

OCO-2 - Delta II Install 2nd Stage Nozzle

OCO-2 - Delta II Install 2nd Stage Nozzle

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – In the Horizontal Processing Facility at Space Launch Complex 2 on Vandenberg Air Force Base in California, the engine bell is installed around the second-stage nozzle of the... More

ASCANS Class of 2013 Visit KSC

ASCANS Class of 2013 Visit KSC

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Kennedy Space Center Director Bob Cabana briefs members of the most recently selected group of NASA astronauts. The presentation covering operations at the Florida spaceport took place i... More

ASCANS Class of 2013 Tour the O&C with Cabana

ASCANS Class of 2013 Tour the O&C with Cabana

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- In the Operations and Checkout Building of NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, astronaut candidate Victor Glover looks over work platforms to gain a look at the Orion spacecraft bein... More

ASCANS Class of 2013 Tour

ASCANS Class of 2013 Tour

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - NASA astronaut candidates Anne McClain, from left, Christina Hammock, Tyler "Nick" Hague and Jessica Meir walk through the transfer aisle of the Vehicle Assembly Building at NASA's Kenned... More

T&R Discovery Orbiter Access Hatch Final Closure 2012-1536

T&R Discovery Orbiter Access Hatch Final Closure 2012-1536

T&R Discovery Orbiter Access Hatch Final Closure

ASCANS Class of 2013 Tour CCAFS

ASCANS Class of 2013 Tour CCAFS

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – NASA astronaut candidate Tyler "Nick" Hague looks over photos inside the blockhouse at Complex 14 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, adjacent to NASA's Kennedy Space Center. ... More

Orion Core Stage & Booster Offload, Move to HIF

Orion Core Stage & Booster Offload, Move to HIF

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – The core booster for the United Launch Alliance Delta IV heavy for NASA’s upcoming Exploration Flight Test-1, or EFT-1, mission with the Orion spacecraft, was transported to the Horizonta... More

Orion Underway Recovery Test for EFT-1

Orion Underway Recovery Test for EFT-1

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – U.S. Navy personnel use several rigid hull inflatable boats during the Orion underway recovery test. Earlier in the week, the Orion boilerplate test vehicle and other hardware were transport... More

NASA ADMINISTRATOR CHARLIE BOLDEN BRIEFS MEDIA ON NEW NASA BUDGET 2010-1604

NASA ADMINISTRATOR CHARLIE BOLDEN BRIEFS MEDIA ON NEW NASA BUDGET 2010...

NASA ADMINISTRATOR CHARLIE BOLDEN BRIEFS MEDIA ON NEW NASA BUDGET

Orion Service Module Move to Test Stand

Orion Service Module Move to Test Stand

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Inside the Operations and Checkout Building high bay at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, a crane is used to lift a ground support tool that will be used to transfer the service mod... More

Kennedy Space Center Director Update

Kennedy Space Center Director Update

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Community leaders, business executives, educators, and state and local government leaders were updated on NASA Kennedy Space Center programs and accomplishments during Center Director Bob... More

Kennedy Space Center Director Update

Kennedy Space Center Director Update

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Community leaders, business executives, educators, and state and local government leaders were updated on NASA Kennedy Space Center programs and accomplishments during Center Director Bob... More

Bobcat Walking and Swimming, NASA history collection

Bobcat Walking and Swimming, NASA history collection

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – A bobcat walks along a canal near the NASA News Center at Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The center shares a boundary with the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. The refuge encomp... More

Fire Rescue Exercise, NASA history collection

Fire Rescue Exercise, NASA history collection

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Special Rescue Operations firefighters with NASA Fire Rescue Services in the Protective Services Office at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida prepare to participate in a training exer... More

Various Wildlife Around Schwartz Rd.

Various Wildlife Around Schwartz Rd.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - A Kingfisher perches on a branch in the shrubs near the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The center shares a boundary with the Merritt Island Nat... More

KSC Eagle's Nest, NASA history collection

KSC Eagle's Nest, NASA history collection

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - A bald eagle perches in its nest in a tree along State Road 3 at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The center shares a boundary with the Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge. The... More

SDO ATLAS V ROLLOUT FROM VIF TO PAD 41 2010-1700

SDO ATLAS V ROLLOUT FROM VIF TO PAD 41 2010-1700

SDO ATLAS V ROLLOUT FROM VIF TO PAD 41

Latest Overall Look of Pad 39A

Latest Overall Look of Pad 39A

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, launch pad 39A looks much like it did after the liftoff of STS-135, the final space shuttle mission, on July 8, 2011. The mobile launcher platf... More

Latest Overall Look of Pad 39A

Latest Overall Look of Pad 39A

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, launch pad 39A looks much like it did after the liftoff of STS-135, the final space shuttle mission, on July 8, 2011. This view shows the flame... More

University Research-1 Payload for SpaceX Launch

University Research-1 Payload for SpaceX Launch

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - In the Space Station Processing Facility at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, the University Research-1 payload developed by Texas Southern University in Houston is being prepared f... More

Millie Hughes-Fulford, Scientist and Prior Astronaut

Millie Hughes-Fulford, Scientist and Prior Astronaut

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Researcher and former NASA payload specialist Millie Hughes-Fulford, of the Hughes-Fulford Laboratory, San Francisco, Calif., discusses her laboratory's T-cell experiment and the impact t... More

Millie Hughes-Fulford, Scientist and Prior Astronaut

Millie Hughes-Fulford, Scientist and Prior Astronaut

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. - Researcher and principal investigator Dr. Millie Hughes-Fulford of the Hughes-Fulford Laboratory, San Francisco, Calif., at right, plans preflight and post-flight experiment operations wi... More

Robot Rocket Rally, NASA history collection

Robot Rocket Rally, NASA history collection

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Students gather to watch as a DARwin-OP miniature humanoid robot from Virginia Tech Robotics demonstrates its soccer abilities at the Robot Rocket Rally. The three-day event at Florida's ... More

Space X-3 Social Media Tour of KSC Facilities

Space X-3 Social Media Tour of KSC Facilities

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – A group of news media and social media tweeters toured the Launch Abort System Facility and viewed the launch abort system for the Orion spacecraft at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Flori... More

Space X-3 Social Media Tour of KSC Facilities

Space X-3 Social Media Tour of KSC Facilities

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – A group of news media and social media tweeters toured the Launch Abort System Facility and viewed the launch abort system for the Orion spacecraft at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Flori... More

Wreath for Bill Pogue Memorial

Wreath for Bill Pogue Memorial

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – NASA Kennedy Space Center Director Robert Cabana welcomes guests to the United States Astronaut Hall of Fame at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex for a wreath laying ceremony to ho... More

Wreath for Bill Pogue Memorial

Wreath for Bill Pogue Memorial

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – A wreath is placed next to a photo of former NASA astronaut William R. Pogue during a ceremony to honor Pogue held at the United States Astronaut Hall of Fame at the Kennedy Space Center ... More

STS-131 MPLM LEONARDO FM-1 O-G RACK INSTALLATION 2010-1770

STS-131 MPLM LEONARDO FM-1 O-G RACK INSTALLATION 2010-1770

STS-131 MPLM LEONARDO FM-1 O-G RACK INSTALLATION

Ceremony Honoring Connor Johnson, NASA history collection

Ceremony Honoring Connor Johnson, NASA history collection

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Six-year-old Connor Johnson examines one of the space mementos presented to him by Kennedy Space Center Director and former astronaut Robert Cabana to inspire the youngster to continue th... More

GOES-P LIFT & MATE TO DELTA IV 2010-1783

GOES-P LIFT & MATE TO DELTA IV 2010-1783

GOES-P LIFT & MATE TO DELTA IV

GOES-P LIFT & MATE TO DELTA IV 2010-1787

GOES-P LIFT & MATE TO DELTA IV 2010-1787

GOES-P LIFT & MATE TO DELTA IV

Owl Nest behind TV Building

Owl Nest behind TV Building

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, an Owl occupies a nest originally build by an Osprey atop a loudspeaker utility pole. Kennedy Space Center shares a boundary with the Merritt Is... More

NUSTAR/Pegasus, Transfer of the Pegasus to the AIT 2012-1792

NUSTAR/Pegasus, Transfer of the Pegasus to the AIT 2012-1792

NUSTAR/Pegasus, Transfer of the Pegasus to the AIT

NUSTAR/Pegasus, Transfer of the Pegasus to the AIT 2012-1794

NUSTAR/Pegasus, Transfer of the Pegasus to the AIT 2012-1794

NUSTAR/Pegasus, Transfer of the Pegasus to the AIT

STS-131 MPLM LEONARDO MEDIA EVENT 2010-1797

STS-131 MPLM LEONARDO MEDIA EVENT 2010-1797

STS-131 MPLM LEONARDO MEDIA EVENT

KSC WILDLIFE - NEW EAGLE NEST - ARMADILLO 2010-1806

KSC WILDLIFE - NEW EAGLE NEST - ARMADILLO 2010-1806

KSC WILDLIFE - NEW EAGLE NEST - ARMADILLO

Wildlife Remote Camera is triggered by wildlife 2012-1807

Wildlife Remote Camera is triggered by wildlife 2012-1807

Wildlife Remote Camera is triggered by wildlife

KSC-07PD-1807, NASA history collection

KSC-07PD-1807, NASA history collection

Official portrait of William W. "Bill" Parsons, director of the John F. Kennedy Space Center.

GSDO PDR (Preliminary Design Review) Morning Meeting

GSDO PDR (Preliminary Design Review) Morning Meeting

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – The Ground Systems Development and Operations, or GSDO, Program completed its preliminary design review which allows development of the ground systems to proceed to detailed design. Repre... More

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1834

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1834

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation

Morpheus Alhat Integrated and Laser Test

Morpheus Alhat Integrated and Laser Test

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Engineers run an automated landing and hazard avoidance technology, or ALHAT, and laser test on the Project Morpheus prototype lander at a new launch site at the north end of the Shuttle ... More

"Name the Rovers" contest, NASA history collection

"Name the Rovers" contest, NASA history collection

Sofi Collis, the third grade student winner of the "Name the Rovers" contest, poses with a model of a rover. The names she proposed -- Spirit and Opportunity -- were announced today in a press conference held b... More

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1840

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1840

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1841

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1841

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Official portrait of Roy D. Bridges Jr., director of Kennedy Space Center. KSC-97PC-1842

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Official portrait of Roy D. Bridges Jr.,...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Official portrait of Roy D. Bridges Jr., director of Kennedy Space Center.

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1843

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation 2012-1843

T&R Endeavour, LH Oms Pod Lift and Move for Installation

OCO-2 1st Stage Booster Preps

OCO-2 1st Stage Booster Preps

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – A worker in the Horizontal Integration Facility inspects the Delta first-stage booster for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, before its move to Space La... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The left spent booster from space shuttle Discovery's final launch is seen floating on the water's surface while pumps on Freedom Star, one of NASA's solid rocket booster retrieval ships, push debris and water out of the booster, replacing with air to facilitate floating for its return to Port Canaveral in Florida.                The shuttle’s two solid rocket booster casings and associated flight hardware are recovered in the Atlantic Ocean after every launch by Liberty Star and Freedom Star. The boosters impact the Atlantic about seven minutes after liftoff and the retrieval ships are stationed about 10 miles from the impact area at the time of splashdown. After the spent segments are processed, they will be transported to Utah, where they will be refurbished and stored, if needed. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2011-1845

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The left spent booster from space shuttle Disc...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The left spent booster from space shuttle Discovery's final launch is seen floating on the water's surface while pumps on Freedom Star, one of NASA's solid rocket booster retrieval ships... More

OCO-2 Fairing Bi-Sector Halves Transport

OCO-2 Fairing Bi-Sector Halves Transport

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Both halves of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, are delivered to Space Launch Complex 2 on Vandenberg Air Force Base in California. Ope... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – A crane is employed to lift half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, into a vertical position at Space Launch Complex 2 on Vandenberg A... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, is lifted toward the environmental enclosure, or clean room, at the top of the Delta II launch... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, arrives at the portal to the environmental enclosure, or clean room, at the top of the Delta I... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, is positioned into the environmental enclosure, or clean room, at the top of the Delta II laun... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Workers maneuver half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, newly arrived at Space Launch Complex 2 on Vandenberg Air Force Base in Calif... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Workers maneuver half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, newly arrived at Space Launch Complex 2 on Vandenberg Air Force Base in Calif... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Workers attach a crane onto half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, newly arrived at Space Launch Complex 2 on Vandenberg Air Force Ba... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – A crane lifts half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, up the side of the mobile service tower at Space Launch Complex 2 on Vandenberg ... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Workers transfer half of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, into the environmental enclosure, or clean room, at the top of the Delta II l... More

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

OCO-2: Hoisting the Fairing Halves up the MST

VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. – Both halves of the fairing for NASA's Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2 mission, or OCO-2, have arrived in the environmental enclosure, or clean room, at the top of the Delta II ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3672

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3662

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by t... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6309

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3674

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. Coast Guard operates the lighthouse's beacon the U.S. Air Force owns the lighthouse.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3142

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Cana...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. C... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.        The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3664

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The low structure to the right of the lighthouse is the original oil house. The U.S. Air Force now owns the lighthouse.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3143

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The low structure to the right of the lighthouse is the original oil house.... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  workers help place the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck.  It will be moved to a facility near Cape Canaveral for repairs and renovation. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0456

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wo...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers help place the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck. It will be moved to a facility near Cape ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3139

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of th...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned by the U.S. Air Force, has resided in its current spot on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida since 1894.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3140

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned b...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned by the U.S. Air Force, has resided in its current spot on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida since 1894. The first lighthouse on ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0575

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape..                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3669

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape.. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S.... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3673

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.      The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3666

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0577

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers secure the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room will be moved to a facility near Cape Canaveral for repairs and renovation. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0457

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wor...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers secure the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6310

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.          The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3663

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  workers below help guide the detached lamp room from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto the ground.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.   The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0455

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wo...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers below help guide the detached lamp room from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto the ground. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to see... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers get ready to attach a crane to the top of the lamp room on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0452

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wor...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers get ready to attach a crane to the top of the lamp room on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation surrounding the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. Air Force.     The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3144

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation ...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation surrounding the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural plans of the keeper's house, next to the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, is planned by the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3141

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural plans of the keeper's house, next to the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, is planned by the Ca... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6307

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  a crane lowers the detached lamp room alongside the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0454

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane lowers the detached lamp room alongside the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room i... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3670

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3668

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern. To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place. The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868. An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history. The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse. As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0578

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work inc... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3675

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane is lifted near the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse for use in removing the lamp room at top. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0451

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a c...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane is lifted near the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse for use in removing the lamp room at top. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. T... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6308

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  a crane swings the detached lamp room clear of the beacon on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0453

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane swings the detached lamp room clear of the beacon on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. T... More

Morpheus Alhat Tether Test Preparations

Morpheus Alhat Tether Test Preparations

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – NASA's Project Morpheus prototype lander is positioned near a new launch site at the north end of the Shuttle Landing Facility at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida for a tether test.... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is home to the historic Cape Canaveral Light, a lighthouse built circa 1868 and now owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3138

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is home to the historic Cape Canaveral Light, a lighthouse built circa 1868 and now owned by the U.S. Air Force. The first lighthouse on Ca... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0579

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lante...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work include... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                  The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3667

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owne... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0576

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3671

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

Previous

of 608

Next