Jones Point Lighthouse, built in 1855, is the oldest inland lighthouse in the US. several yards south of the lighthouse is the south cornerstone marking the southern point of District of Columbia.
Henry Adams asked Augustus Saint-Gaudens to create this memorial to his wife who committed suicide in 1885. It is located in Rock Creek Cemetery and is often mistakenly called the "Grief" statue.
Baron Ladislaus Hengelmuller de Hengervar (also Laszlo Hengelmuller von Hengervar), (1845-1917) was a longterm Austro-Hungarian Ambassador to the United States, stretching through multiple Presidential administ... More
Exterior view of the old Department of Agriculture building with greenhouse next to building...Built in 1868 - razed in 1930; designed by Adolph Cluss..Ca. 1890
Funeral caisson at Arlington National Cemetery of one sailor from among the 260 enlisted men and officers who died on board the U.S.S. Maine in Havana Harbor on February 15, 1898.
North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia..View of the interior courtyard of the Carlyle House in Alexandria, Virginia. Site where George Washington recieved his first military commission...Ca. 1900
Exterior view of the old Department of Agriculture building (Northwest corner) with Smithsonian Castle in background and greenhouse in foreground..National Mall between 12th and 14th Streets, SW..Ca. 1900
Portrait of May Palmer Depew seated at a desk. Wife of US Senator Chauncey Depew...Chauncey Depew (April 23, 1834- April 5, 1928) was a United States Senator from New York serving between 1899 and 1911...Ca. 1900
Built in 1868 - razed in 1930; designed by Adolph Cluss..View of two women standing near ivey covered wall in front or the north side of the old Department of Argiculture building...National Mall between 12th a... More
View of the interior courtyard of the Carlyle House in Alexandria, Virginia. Site where George Washington recieved his first military commission...North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, Virginia..Ca.1900
Samuel Pierpont Langley (1834-1906) attempted to make the first heavier than air aircraft. His models flew but his attempts on October 7 and December 8, 1903 at flight failed. To avoid fatal accidents he conduc... More
The John A. Wilson Building (1350 Pennsylvania Avenue). Orginally named the District building, it was constructed in 1904-08 and was remaned in 1994 to honor the long time city council member John A Wilson.
Pennsylvania Avenue near 15th Street looking east towards the Capitol, at the time of Teddy Roosevelt’s inauguration, ca. 1905. ..The Willard Hotel stands on the north side of the Avenue