The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
Topic

coast guard

49,055 media by topicpage 1 of 491
U.S. Coast Guard Reserve Petty Officer 1st Class Alfred

U.S. Coast Guard Reserve Petty Officer 1st Class Alfred

U.S. Coast Guard Reserve Petty Officer 1st Class Alfred Jurison of the Redeployment Assistance and Inspection Detachment, Patrol Forces Southwest Asia, attached to the 831st Deployment and Distribution Support ... More

The crew of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Winslow Griesser

The crew of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Winslow Griesser

The crew of the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Winslow Griesser salutes as they bring the ship to life during the commissioning ceremony of the Coast Guard's newest fast response cutter at Sector San Juan, Puerto Rico... More

The 1st Armored Division Band, Fort Bliss, Texas, played

The 1st Armored Division Band, Fort Bliss, Texas, played

The 1st Armored Division Band, Fort Bliss, Texas, played the Army Song, the MP Regimental March as well as the National Anthem at the Change of Command and Change of Responsibility for 93D Military Police Batta... More

U.S. Coast Guard Reserve Petty Officer 1st Class Alfred

U.S. Coast Guard Reserve Petty Officer 1st Class Alfred

U.S. Coast Guard Reserve Petty Officer 1st Class Alfred Jurison of the Redeployment Assistance and Inspection Detachment, Patrol Forces Southwest Asia, attached to the 831st Deployment and Distribution Support ... More

To the subscribers to the coast-guard fund. ... R. B. Forbes. Commanding officer of the Coast Guard. Boston, June 12th, 1861.

To the subscribers to the coast-guard fund. ... R. B. Forbes. Commandi...

Available also through the Library of Congress web site in two forms: as facsimile page images and as full text in SGML. Printed Ephemera Collection; Portfolio 67, Folder 23.

Coast Guard Station

Coast Guard Station

Albertus H. Baldwin (1865–1935)

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3672

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3662

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by t... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6309

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3674

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. Coast Guard operates the lighthouse's beacon the U.S. Air Force owns the lighthouse.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3142

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Cana...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. C... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.        The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3664

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3139

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of th...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0575

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape..                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3669

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape.. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S.... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3673

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.      The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3666

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0577

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6310

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.          The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3663

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6307

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3670

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3668

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern. To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place. The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868. An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history. The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse. As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0578

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work inc... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3675

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6308

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0579

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lante...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work include... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                  The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3667

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owne... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0576

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3671

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane is ready to lift a refurbished lantern to the top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0574

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane is ready to lift a refurbished ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane is ready to lift a refurbished lantern to the top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   A crane lowers a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.   The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0580

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lowers a refurbished lantern o...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lowers a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included s... More

[Parade (i.e., promenade) and Coast Guard Station, Southwold, England]

[Parade (i.e., promenade) and Coast Guard Station, Southwold, England]

Title from the Detroit Publishing Co., Catalogue J foreign section, Detroit, Mich. : Detroit Publishing Company, 1905. Print no. "11353". More information about the Photochrom Print Collection is available at h... More

Captain Michael Healy and friend ca late 1890s

Captain Michael Healy and friend ca late 1890s

Captain Michael Healy and friend ca late 1890s. Healy rose to the rank of Captain in the Revenue Cutter Service which became the US Coast Guard.

Ready for action

Ready for action

SEATTLE - Crewman of U.S. Lifesaving Service Station Umpqua River, Ore., pose for a photo in the station boat house in the 1890s. They are surrounded by lifesaving equipment of the era, and a remnant of the ste... More

Coast Guard seeking public comment on demolition of unoccupied housing unit

Coast Guard seeking public comment on demolition of unoccupied housing...

The U.S. Coast Guard is proposing to demolish this housing unit, photographed March 2, 2016, located on federal property at Coast Guard Station Sturgeon Bay, Wis. Originally built in 1896 as a lightkeeper's dwe... More

Seks menn fotografert ombord på oppsynsskipet Heimdal

Seks menn fotografert ombord på oppsynsskipet Heimdal

Seks menn fotografert ombord på oppsynsskipet Heimdal

U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Kyle Masucci with Marine Corps

U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Kyle Masucci with Marine Corps

U.S. Marine Corps Sgt. Kyle Masucci with Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego shooting team poses for a photo during the Admiral Nimitz Cup at the Richmond Rod and Gun Club during San Francisco Fleet Week 2018,... More

U.S. Marine Corps 1st. Lt. Christopher Scott with the

U.S. Marine Corps 1st. Lt. Christopher Scott with the

U.S. Marine Corps 1st. Lt. Christopher Scott with the Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego shooting team observes his target after shooting an M1911 from 50 yards at the Admiral Nimitz Cup at the Richmond Rod a... More

Thirty-six footer Grand Marais

Thirty-six footer Grand Marais

Many lifeboat stations were assigned the thirty-six foot self-righting motor lifeboat as the primary rescue craft. CG 36528 was assigned to Grand Marais. These boats had a two ton keel which would right them in... More

Munising Range Light

Munising Range Light

Munising Range Light - National Park Service

National parks: NPS_LDD_OHara - public domain image

National parks: NPS_LDD_OHara - public domain image

"US Park Ranger O'Hara was killed in an aircraft accident while conducting a moose tracking survey in the Katmai National Park and Preserve. Ranger O'Hara and park biologist failed to return in accordance with ... More

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Headquarters

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Headquarters

Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Headquarters at Sand Point. Formally a Munising Coast Guard building.

Life saving cart at Sand Point

Life saving cart at Sand Point

Life saving cart in the boathouse at Sand Point

Fowey Rocks Lighthouse

Fowey Rocks Lighthouse

Fowey Rocks Lighthouse was first lit in 1878, and still serves as the main light for Miami today. It was acquired by Biscayne National Park from the Coast Guard in 2012.

Boy's Activities - Junior Naval Reserve - Other Camps - Boy Scout Activities. Signal work at a Branch Training Station of the Junior Naval Reserve is rated as being the best signaler in the U.S. Coast Guard Service

Boy's Activities - Junior Naval Reserve - Other Camps - Boy Scout Acti...

Boy's Activities - Junior Naval Reserve - Other Camps

Ceremonies - Independence Day, 1918 - Independence Day Parade, Fifth Avenue, New York City, July 4, 1918. U.S. Coast Guard contingent

Ceremonies - Independence Day, 1918 - Independence Day Parade, Fifth A...

Date Taken: 7/4/1918 Photographer: New York World Ceremonies - Independence Day, 1918

Men wanted for U.S. Coast Guard

Men wanted for U.S. Coast Guard

Poster soliciting enlistees for the United States Coast Guard. Text specifies, "machinists, oilers, firemen, coxswains, seamen, quartermasters, cooks, boys, buglers, ordinary seamen, coal heavers." Poster is te... More

Coast Guard

Coast Guard

Title from unverified data provided by the National Photo Company on the negatives or negative sleeves. Date from negatives in same range. Gift; Herbert A. French; 1947. General information about the National P... More

Coast Guard

Coast Guard

Title from unverified data provided by the National Photo Company on the negatives or negative sleeves. Date from negatives in same range. Gift; Herbert A. French; 1947. General information about the National P... More

Coast Guard Commandant, Adm. Paul Zukunft and his wife,

Coast Guard Commandant, Adm. Paul Zukunft and his wife,

Coast Guard Commandant, Adm. Paul Zukunft and his wife, celebrate Coast Guard aviation reaching its 100th year, Jan. 22, 2016, at Air Station Houston. The celebration took place on the birthday of Cmdr. Elmer S... More

Haida (built 1921; cutter; U.S. Coast Guard) launching at an unidentified yard, Oakland, CA, 1921

Haida (built 1921; cutter; U.S. Coast Guard) launching at an unidentif...

Note from M.A. Ransom: "Inception a ship on a drawing board, its building (oak hull, Calif.) followed by its many years of cruising in Alaska along Pacific Coast, escort of First World Flight 1924, carrying Fed... More

Rear Admiral F.C. Billard, right, being sworn in as new Commandant of U.S. Coast Guard, succeeding Adm. Reynolds, retired

Rear Admiral F.C. Billard, right, being sworn in as new Commandant of ...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Haida (built 1921; cutter; U.S. Coast Guard) at an unidentified yard, Oakland, CA, 1921

Haida (built 1921; cutter; U.S. Coast Guard) at an unidentified yard, ...

Close to launching. Note from M.A. Ransom: "Inception a ship on a drawing board, its building (oak hull, Calif.) followed by its many years of cruising in Alaska along Pacific Coast, escort of First World Fligh... More

Judge Moss, right, giving Adm. Billard his commission as new Commandant of U.S. Coast Guard

Judge Moss, right, giving Adm. Billard his commission as new Commandan...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Oliver M. Maxam, Chief of the Division of Operations of the U.S. Coast Guard, who on Mar. 17 completed 40 yrs. service in the life-saving service and the Coast Guard

Oliver M. Maxam, Chief of the Division of Operations of the U.S. Coast...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Haida (built 1921; cutter; U.S. Coast Guard) launching at an unidentified yard, Oakland, CA, 1921

Haida (built 1921; cutter; U.S. Coast Guard) launching at an unidentif...

In the water. Note from M.A. Ransom: "Inception a ship on a drawing board, its building (oak hull, Calif.) followed by its many years of cruising in Alaska along Pacific Coast, escort of First World Flight 1924... More

Adm. Reynolds congratulating Adm. Billard, new Commandant of U.S. Coast Guard. Adm. Reynolds retiring

Adm. Reynolds congratulating Adm. Billard, new Commandant of U.S. Coas...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Crissy Field at Golden Gate National Recreation Area

Crissy Field at Golden Gate National Recreation Area

A new Army aviation field was completed in 1921, with a runway near Coast Guard Buildings. It was active through the early 1970s, after which it was redeveloped into a public promenade and park.

The 22nd Infantry Regiment arrives at Fort Jay, Governors Island National Monument, 2016.

The 22nd Infantry Regiment arrives at Fort Jay, Governors Island Natio...

The 22nd Infantry Regiment arrived at Fort Jay a few days before Congress passed a declaration of war against Germany on April 6, 1917. The regiment, with the help of the US Coast Guard, took the first US milit... More

John A. Shaw taking fingerprints of Arthur G. Whaley, Coast Guard hdqtrs., Wash. D.C. The system keeps outcasts from other services from changing their names and enlisting and also establishes identity for men who have lost proof of service

John A. Shaw taking fingerprints of Arthur G. Whaley, Coast Guard hdqt...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Hdqtrs. of the U.S. Coast Guard are using unique method for distributing news of their service by means of radio. Capt. F.C. Billard, aide to the commandant is shown broadcasting. Lt. F.A Zensler is coaching him from the receiving set which is being used by Lt. E.M. Webster (with ear pieces)

Hdqtrs. of the U.S. Coast Guard are using unique method for distributi...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Capt. Wm. E. Reynolds (right) receiving his commission as a Rear Admiral in the U.S. Coast Guard from Asst. Secy. Clifford of the Treasury. Adml. Reynolds, who is Commandant of the Coast Guard, is the first officer to hold his rank. Has served with Coast Guard since 1878. Native of Md

Capt. Wm. E. Reynolds (right) receiving his commission as a Rear Admir...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Coast Guard? aide Capt. F.C. Billard

Coast Guard? aide Capt. F.C. Billard

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Part of title devised by Library staff. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information abo... More

U.S. Coast Guard remembers Sen. Wesley L. Jones of Wash. upon his birthday of his 25 year's service in Congress

U.S. Coast Guard remembers Sen. Wesley L. Jones of Wash. upon his birt...

Title from unverified caption data on negative or negative sleeve. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is avai... More

Man with radio receiver made for the U.S. Coast Guard

Man with radio receiver made for the U.S. Coast Guard

Title devised by Library staff. Date based on date of negatives in same range. Gift; Harris & Ewing, Inc. 1955. General information about the Harris & Ewing Collection is available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp... More

U.S. Coast Guard Hdqrts., 8425

U.S. Coast Guard Hdqrts., 8425

Title from unverified data provided by the National Photo Company on the negative or negative sleeve. Gift; Herbert A. French; 1947. General information about the National Photo Company collection is available ... More

Admiral F.C. Billard, Com. Coast Guard, 8725

Admiral F.C. Billard, Com. Coast Guard, 8725

Title from unverified data provided by the National Photo Company on the negative or negative sleeve. Date from related negative LC-F8-36680. Gift; Herbert A. French; 1947. General information about the Nationa... More

Lt. E.M. Webster, Coast Guard

Lt. E.M. Webster, Coast Guard

Title from unverified data provided by the National Photo Company on the negative or negative sleeve. Date from negatives in same range. Gift; Herbert A. French; 1947. General information about the National Pho... More

Previous

of 491

Next