The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
Topic

cape canaveral

29,001 media by topicpage 1 of 291
Item 31; Cape Canaveral and Barrier Islands, 18th century.

Item 31; Cape Canaveral and Barrier Islands, 18th century.

Item 31; Cape Canaveral and Barrier Islands, 18th century.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The left spent booster from space shuttle Discovery's final launch is seen floating on the water's surface while pumps on Freedom Star, one of NASA's solid rocket booster retrieval ships, push debris and water out of the booster, replacing with air to facilitate floating for its return to Port Canaveral in Florida.                The shuttle’s two solid rocket booster casings and associated flight hardware are recovered in the Atlantic Ocean after every launch by Liberty Star and Freedom Star. The boosters impact the Atlantic about seven minutes after liftoff and the retrieval ships are stationed about 10 miles from the impact area at the time of splashdown. After the spent segments are processed, they will be transported to Utah, where they will be refurbished and stored, if needed. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2011-1845

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The left spent booster from space shuttle Disc...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The left spent booster from space shuttle Discovery's final launch is seen floating on the water's surface while pumps on Freedom Star, one of NASA's solid rocket booster retrieval ships... More

Photograph of Cape Canaveral Light Station in Florida
Drawing Showing Lantern Sections for the Lighthouse at Cape Canaveral, Florida
Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3662

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by t... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3672

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

Drawing Showing Lantern Sections for the Lighthouse at Cape Canaveral, Florida
CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6309

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. Coast Guard operates the lighthouse's beacon the U.S. Air Force owns the lighthouse.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3142

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Cana...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. C... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3674

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.        The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3664

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  workers help place the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck.  It will be moved to a facility near Cape Canaveral for repairs and renovation. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0456

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wo...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers help place the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck. It will be moved to a facility near Cape ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3139

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of th...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The low structure to the right of the lighthouse is the original oil house. The U.S. Air Force now owns the lighthouse.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3143

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The low structure to the right of the lighthouse is the original oil house.... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned by the U.S. Air Force, has resided in its current spot on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida since 1894.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3140

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned b...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned by the U.S. Air Force, has resided in its current spot on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida since 1894. The first lighthouse on ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0575

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0577

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape..                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3669

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape.. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S.... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3673

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.      The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3666

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6310

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers secure the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room will be moved to a facility near Cape Canaveral for repairs and renovation. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0457

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wor...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers secure the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.          The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3663

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers get ready to attach a crane to the top of the lamp room on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0452

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wor...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers get ready to attach a crane to the top of the lamp room on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6307

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation surrounding the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. Air Force.     The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3144

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation ...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation surrounding the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural plans of the keeper's house, next to the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, is planned by the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3141

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural plans of the keeper's house, next to the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, is planned by the Ca... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  workers below help guide the detached lamp room from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto the ground.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.   The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0455

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wo...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers below help guide the detached lamp room from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto the ground. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to see... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  a crane lowers the detached lamp room alongside the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0454

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane lowers the detached lamp room alongside the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room i... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern. To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place. The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868. An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history. The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse. As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0578

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work inc... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3675

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3668

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3670

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane is lifted near the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse for use in removing the lamp room at top. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0451

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a c...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane is lifted near the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse for use in removing the lamp room at top. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. T... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6308

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  a crane swings the detached lamp room clear of the beacon on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0453

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane swings the detached lamp room clear of the beacon on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. T... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is home to the historic Cape Canaveral Light, a lighthouse built circa 1868 and now owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3138

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is home to the historic Cape Canaveral Light, a lighthouse built circa 1868 and now owned by the U.S. Air Force. The first lighthouse on Ca... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0579

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lante...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work include... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                  The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3667

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owne... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0576

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3671

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   A crane lowers a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.   The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0580

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lowers a refurbished lantern o...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lowers a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included s... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane is ready to lift a refurbished lantern to the top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0574

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane is ready to lift a refurbished ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane is ready to lift a refurbished lantern to the top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – In Orbiter Processing Facility-2 at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, a large crane is used to lift the right orbital maneuvering system OMS pod that will be installed on space shuttle Endeavour.       The OMS pod underwent complete deservicing and cleaning at White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico, part of the transition and retirement processing of each shuttle. Endeavour is being prepared for public display at the California Science Center in Los Angeles. Over the course of its 19-year career, Endeavour spent 299 days in space during 25 missions. For more information, visit http://www.nasa.gov/shuttle.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-2012-1901

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – In Orbiter Processing Facility-2 at NASA’s Kenn...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – In Orbiter Processing Facility-2 at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, a large crane is used to lift the right orbital maneuvering system OMS pod that will be installed on space shut... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, workers accompany space shuttle Endeavour as it is being transported from Orbiter Processing Facility-2 to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB). In the VAB, Endeavour will be lifted into a high bay where it will be attached to its external fuel tank and solid rocket boosters for its final mission, STS-134.          Endeavour and its STS-134 crew will deliver the Express Logistics Carrier-3, Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer, a high-pressure gas tank, additional spare parts for Dextre and micrometeoroid debris shields to the International Space Station. Launch is targeted for April 19 at 7:48 p.m. EDT. For more information visit, http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/shuttlemissions/sts134/index.html. Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-2011-1901

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, wor...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- At NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida, workers accompany space shuttle Endeavour as it is being transported from Orbiter Processing Facility-2 to the Vehicle Assembly Building (VAB).... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – One of two solid rocket boosters arrives on Launch Pad 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.  it is the left rocket and it will be lifted into the mobile service tower and mated to the GOES-O Delta IV launch vehicle. GOES–O is one of a series of Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites. The multi-mission GOES series N-P will be a vital contributor to weather, solar and space operations and science. NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, are actively engaged in a cooperative program to expand the existing GOES system with the launch of the GOES N-P satellites. Launch of the GOES-O is targeted for no earlier than April 2009.    Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2009-1901

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – One of two solid rocket boosters arrives on Lau...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – One of two solid rocket boosters arrives on Launch Pad 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. it is the left rocket and it will be lifted into the mobile service tower and mated to the ... More

United States, East coast: Charleston Light to Cape Canaveral nautical chart

United States, East coast: Charleston Light to Cape Canaveral nautical...

Scale 1:449,659 at Lat. 30⁰30ʹ. "Mercator projection. N.A. datum of 1927." Depths shown by soundings and gradient tints. "Not to be used for navigation: For wreck information only." Base map: [Nautical chart] 1... More

Bumper V-2 Launch, NASA history collection

Bumper V-2 Launch, NASA history collection

(July 24, 1950) A new chapter in space flight began in July 1950 with the launch of the first rocket from Cape Canaveral, Florida: the Bumper 8. Shown above, Bumper 8 was an ambitious two-stage rocket program t... More

Early Rockets, NASA history collection

Early Rockets, NASA history collection

Bumper Wac liftoff at the Long Range Proving Ground located at Cape Canaveral, Florida. At White Sands, New Mexico, the German rocket team experimented with a two-stage rocket called Bumper Wac, which intended ... More

Early Rockets, NASA history collection

Early Rockets, NASA history collection

A Bumper Wac, a combination the V-2 rocket with a WAC Corporal upper stage, awaits launch on July 24, 1950. It was the eighth in the Bumper Project and the vehicle reached the altitude of 393 kilometers. The Bu... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Inside the Vehicle Assembly Building at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, preparations are underway to remove the gear boxes on the C truck of crawler-transporter 2, or CT-2. A section of the treads were removed to allow access to the gear boxes.    Work continues in high bay 2 to upgrade CT-2. The modifications are designed to ensure CT-2’s ability to transport launch vehicles currently in development, such as the agency’s Space Launch System, to the launch pad. The Ground Systems Development and Operations Program office at Kennedy is overseeing the upgrades. For more than 45 years the crawler-transporters were used to transport the mobile launcher platform and the Apollo-Saturn V rockets and, later, space shuttles to Launch Pads 39A and B. For more information, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/ground/crawler-transporter. Photo credit: NASA/Cory Huston KSC-2014-1951

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Inside the Vehicle Assembly Building at NASA’s ...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Inside the Vehicle Assembly Building at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, preparations are underway to remove the gear boxes on the C truck of crawler-transporter 2, or CT-2. A sect... More

The First Redstone Rocket Firing

The First Redstone Rocket Firing

Full Description: (August 20, 1953) The first Redstone was fired at Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 20, 1953. Redstone was the first major rocket development program for United States by the Peenemuende group... More

The first Redstone was fired at Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 20, 1953. Redstone was the first major rocket development program for United States by the Peenemuende group led by Dr. Wernher von Braun. The Redstone launch photographed here, from November 17, 1954, was the fifth launch of a Redstone rocket. n/a

The first Redstone was fired at Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 20, ...

The first Redstone was fired at Cape Canaveral, Florida on August 20, 1953. Redstone was the first major rocket development program for United States by the Peenemuende group led by Dr. Wernher von Braun. The R... More

NASA Early Rockets, Army ballistic missile agency

NASA Early Rockets, Army ballistic missile agency

U.S. Army Redstone Rocket: The Redstone ballistic missile was a high-accuracy, liquid-propelled, surface-to-surface missile developed by the Army Ballistic Missile Agency, Redstone Arsenal, in Huntsville, Alaba... More

Early Rockets

Early Rockets

Launch of a three-stage Vanguard (SLV-7) from Cape Canaveral, Florida, September 18, 1959. Designated Vanguard III, the 100-pound satellite was used to study the magnetic field and radiation belt. In September ... More

NASA Jupiter rocket - Early Rockets, Army ballistic missile agency

NASA Jupiter rocket - Early Rockets, Army ballistic missile agency

The Jupiter rocket was designed and developed by the Army Ballistic Missile Agency (ABMA). ABMA launched the Jupiter-A at Cape Canaveral, Florida, on March 1, 1957. The Jupiter vehicle was a direct derivative o... More

Photograph of the Mercury-Redstone 3 Launch

Photograph of the Mercury-Redstone 3 Launch

Original caption: Launch of America's first man in space on the Mercury-Redstone-3 from Cape Canaveral launch site on May 5, 1961. Historical Photograph Files

Photograph of John H. Glenn, Jr., Virgil L. Grissom and Alan B. Shepard, Jr. Training for the Nation's First Manned Space Flight

Photograph of John H. Glenn, Jr., Virgil L. Grissom and Alan B. Shepar...

Original caption: The three Project Mercury astronauts training for the nation's first manned space flight are (from left) John H. Glenn, Jr., Virgil I. Grissom and Alan B. Shepard, Jr. The forthcoming sub-orb... More

Vanguard Satellite SLV-2 Being Examined at Cape Canaveral

Vanguard Satellite SLV-2 Being Examined at Cape Canaveral

Vanguard satellite SLV-2 is being checked out at Cape Canaveral, Florida. The Solar X-ray radiation satellite was launched June 26, 1958. The second stage of the launch vehicle ended prematurely due to low cham... More

Photograph of John Glenn in Space during Mercury-Atlas 6

Photograph of John Glenn in Space during Mercury-Atlas 6

Original caption: CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA. - Astronaut John Glenn photographed in space by an automatic sequence motion picture camera. Glenn is in a state of weightlessness traveling at 17,500 MPH as these pictur... More

NASA Explorer 1 Launch, Army ballistic missile agency

NASA Explorer 1 Launch, Army ballistic missile agency

(January 31, 1958) Launch of Jupiter-C/Explorer 1 at Cape Canaveral, Florida on January 31, 1958. After the Russian Sputnik 1 was launched in October 1957, the launching of an American satellite assumed much gr... More

Photograph of John Glenn in Space during Mercury-Atlas 6

Photograph of John Glenn in Space during Mercury-Atlas 6

Original caption: CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA. - Astronaut John Glenn photographed in space by an automatic sequence motion picture camera. Glenn is in a state of weightlessness traveling at 17,500 MPH as these pictur... More

Photograph of John Glenn in Space during Mercury-Atlas 6

Photograph of John Glenn in Space during Mercury-Atlas 6

Original caption: CAPE CANAVERAL, FLA. - Astronaut John Glenn photographed in space by an automatic sequence motion picture camera. Glenn is in a state of weightlessness traveling at 17,500 MPH as these pictur... More

Pioneer III Probe, JPL/NASA images

Pioneer III Probe, JPL/NASA images

Looking more like surgeons, these technicians wearing cleanroom attire inspect the Pioneer III probe before shipping it to Cape Canaveral, Florida. Pioneer III was launched on December 6, 1958 aboard a Juno II ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Explorer I, the first American satellite, is scheduled to be launched from Cape Canaveral on Jan. 29, 1958 ksc-68p-1

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Explorer I, the first American satellite...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Explorer I, the first American satellite, is scheduled to be launched from Cape Canaveral on Jan. 29, 1958

Jupiter-C, the first American Satellite, Explorer 1 launcher

Jupiter-C, the first American Satellite, Explorer 1 launcher

Launch of Jupiter-C/Explorer 1 at Cape Canaveral, Florida on January 31, 1958. After the Russian Sputnik 1 was launched in October 1957, the launching of an American satellite assumed much greater importance. A... More

Jupiter-C, the first American Satellite, Explorer 1 launcher

Jupiter-C, the first American Satellite, Explorer 1 launcher

Launch of Jupiter-C/Explorer 1 at Cape Canaveral, Florida on January 31, 1958. After the Russian Sputnik 1 was launched in October 1957, the launching of an American satellite assumed much greater importance. A... More

Redstone missile No. 1002 on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida

Redstone missile No. 1002 on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida

Redstone missile No. 1002 on the launch pad at Cape Canaveral, Florida, on May 16, 1958. The Redstone ballistic missile was a high-accuracy, liquid-propelled, surface-to-surface missile developed by the Army Ba... More

Big Joe Ready for Launch at Cape Canaveral

Big Joe Ready for Launch at Cape Canaveral

(September 9, 1959) Big Joe ready for launch at Cape Canaveral, FL. The objective of "Big Joe" was to test the ablating heatshield. The flight was both a success and failure – the heatshield survived reentry an... More

Delta 174 Launch

Delta 174 Launch

The Delta launch vehicle family started development in 1959. The Delta was composed of parts from the Thor, an intermediate-range ballistic missile, as its first stage, and the Vanguard as its second. The first... More

Wernher von Braun, America Space Program

Wernher von Braun, America Space Program

In this 1959 photo, taken at Cape Canaveral, Florida, Dr. von Braun (2nd from left) Director of the U.S. Army Ballistic Missile Agency's (ABMA) Development Operations Division, is shown conferring with Air Forc... More

Early Rockets - Vangard III satellite

Early Rockets - Vangard III satellite

The Vangard III satellite to study the magnetic field and radiation belt in orbit. NASA successfully launched Vanguard III (SLV-7) from Cape Canaveral, Florida on September 18, 1959.

Big Joe launch vehicle after launching at Cape Canaveral

Big Joe launch vehicle after launching at Cape Canaveral

B59-00556 (9 Sept. 1959) --- U.S. Air Force photo of Big Joe launch vehicle after launching at Cape Canaveral, Florida, for a suborbital test of the Mercury capsule. The capsule was recovered successfully after... More

TIROS, America's First Meteorological Satellite

TIROS, America's First Meteorological Satellite

It is hard to imagine the evening news without satellite imagery. But in 1960, space-based meteorology was in its formative stages, still to be proven. One of the earliest groups to transfer to the newly organi... More

A long-lost spacesuit recently uncovered

A long-lost spacesuit recently uncovered

Description: KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - This locker reveals a long-lost spacesuit recently uncovered at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station (CCAFS) in Florida. A recent venture into a long-locked room at CCA... More

Mercury-Atlas 1 Launch, NASA Mercury project

Mercury-Atlas 1 Launch, NASA Mercury project

(July 29, 1960) The uncrewed Mercury-Atlas 1 spacecraft launched from Cape Canaveral on July 29, 1960. MA-1 was the first attempt to launch the Mercury capsule. The mission failed just under a minute after laun... More

Television Infrared Observation Satellite TIROS

Television Infrared Observation Satellite TIROS

Scientist giving a vibration test to TIROS, Television Infrared Observation Satellite, at the Astro-Electronic Products Division of RCA in Princeton, New Jersey. TIROS was NASA's first experimental step to dete... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- President Dwight D Eisenhower is briefed on operations at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Photo Credit: NASA KSC-PL60-51253

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- President Dwight D Eisenhower is briefed on op...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- President Dwight D Eisenhower is briefed on operations at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Photo Credit: NASA

SUIT - ASTRONAUT S. CARPENTER - PA

SUIT - ASTRONAUT S. CARPENTER - PA

S61-03510 (1961) --- Project Mercury astronaut M. Scott Carpenter smiles, in his pressure suit, prior to participating in a simulated mission run at Cape Canaveral, Florida. Astronaut Carpenter has been select... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Aerial view of Complex 34, looking northwest.    Photo credit: NASA KSC-60-2654

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Aerial view of Complex 34, looking northwest. ...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – Aerial view of Complex 34, looking northwest. Photo credit: NASA

LIFTOFF - MERCURY-REDSTONE (MR)-1A - CAPE

LIFTOFF - MERCURY-REDSTONE (MR)-1A - CAPE

S62-08106 (19 Dec. 1960) --- Launch of the unmanned Mercury Redstone 1A (MR-1A) from Cape Canaveral on Dec. 19, 1960. Successful flight to peak altitude of 135 statue miles. Horizontal distance of 235 statue mi... More

Liftoffs - Cape, NASA Mercury project

Liftoffs - Cape, NASA Mercury project

S61-01908 (5 May 1961) --- This is the launch of the Mercury-Redstone 3 (MR-3) spacecraft from Cape Canaveral on a suborbital mission -- the first U.S. manned spaceflight. The spacecraft is already headed towar... More

Astronaut Alan B. Shepard Jr.

Astronaut Alan B. Shepard Jr.

(May 5, 1961) Astronaut Alan B. Shepard Jr., dressed in his Mercury pressure suit, poses for a photo prior to his launch in a Mercury-Redstone 3 (MR-3) spacecraft from Cape Canaveral on a suborbital mission. Th... More

Celestial Training Device MA-7

Celestial Training Device MA-7

S61-04621 (1961) --- Astronaut M. Scott Carpenter looks into a Celestial Training Device (globe) during training in the Aeromedical Laboratory at Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photo credit: NASA

John Glenn and Scott Carpenter

John Glenn and Scott Carpenter

Description CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- John Glenn (left) and Scott Carpenter, designated the prime pilot and backup respectively for the first U.S. manned orbital spaceflight, Mercury-Atlas 6. Photo taken circa 19... More

Studying - Astronaut John H. Glenn, Jr. - Mercury-Atlas (MA)-6 - Cape

Studying - Astronaut John H. Glenn, Jr. - Mercury-Atlas (MA)-6 - Cape

S61-04546 (1961) --- Astronaut John H. Glenn Jr., pilot of the Mercury-Atlas 6 (MA-6) "Friendship 7" mission, takes part in spacecraft systems briefing during preflight activity at Cape Canaveral, Florida. Phot... More

First Saturn (SA-1) Launch

First Saturn (SA-1) Launch

Full Description: On October 27, 1961, the Marshall Space Flight Center and the Nation marked a high point in the 3-year-old Saturn development program when the first Saturn vehicle flew a flawless 215-mile bal... More

Mercury Redstone 3 Launch, NASA Mercury project

Mercury Redstone 3 Launch, NASA Mercury project

(May 5, 1961) Launching of the Mercury-Redstone 3 (MR-3), or Freedom 7, spacecraft from Cape Canaveral on a suborbital mission -- the first U.S. manned spaceflight...Image #: jsc2007e046477

Retrieval of Alan B. Shepard Jr.

Retrieval of Alan B. Shepard Jr.

(May 5, 1961) Astronaut Alan B. Shepard Jr., pilot of the Mercury-Redstone 3 (MR-3) suborbital spaceflight, is retrieved by a helicopter from the USS Lake Champlain during recovery operations in the western Atl... More

Launch of Mercury-Atlas, NASA Mercury project

Launch of Mercury-Atlas, NASA Mercury project

(February 21, 1961) In this Project Mercury test, a spacecraft booster by a modified Atlas was launched from Cape Canaveral, Florida. The Mercury capsule reached a peak altitude of 107 statute miles and landed ... More

Unloading Atlas Launch Vehicle, NASA Mercury project

Unloading Atlas Launch Vehicle, NASA Mercury project

(April 23, 1961) The Atlas launch vehicle is shown being unloaded at Cape Canaveral, Florida. This vehicle was expected to launch a Mercury spacecraft (without any astronauts aboard), built by McDonnell Aircraf... More

Ham

Ham

Ham, the first chimpanzee ever to ride into space is shown off by his animal trainer at Cape Canaveral, Florida...Image # : 61-1923

The Launch of Mercury-Redstone

The Launch of Mercury-Redstone

(May 5, 1961) The launch of the Mercury-Redstone (MR-3), Freedom 7. MR-3 placed the first American astronaut, Alan Shepard, in suborbit on May 5, 1961...UID: SPD-MARSH-6100884

S62-00992 (1961) --- Mercury astronaut John Glenn looks into a Celestial Training Device (globe) during training in the Aeromedical Laboratory at Cape Canaveral, Florida. s62_00992

S62-00992 (1961) --- Mercury astronaut John Glenn looks into a Celesti...

S62-00992 (1961) --- Mercury astronaut John Glenn looks into a Celestial Training Device (globe) during training in the Aeromedical Laboratory at Cape Canaveral, Florida.

A three-year-old chimpanzee, named Ham - Mercury Project

A three-year-old chimpanzee, named Ham - Mercury Project

A three-year-old chimpanzee, named Ham, in the biopack couch for the MR-2 suborbital test flight. On January 31, 1961, a Mercury-Redstone launch from Cape Canaveral carried the chimpanzee "Ham" over 640 kilomet... More

Astronaut John Glenn and news media representatives during tour of Cape

Astronaut John Glenn and news media representatives during tour of Cap...

M61-00041 (January 1961) --- Astronaut John Glenn and news media representatives are pictured during a press conference and spacecraft familiarization tour of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photo credit: NASA

LIFTOFF - MERCURY-REDSTONE (MR)-2 - CAPE

LIFTOFF - MERCURY-REDSTONE (MR)-2 - CAPE

S63-22731 (31 Jan. 1961) --- The launch of the Mercury-Redstone 2 (MR-2) suborbital mission from Cape Canaveral, Florida, on Jan. 31, 1961. Onboard the spacecraft was ?Ham?, a 37-pound chimpanzee. Despite an ov... More

Recovery - Mercury-Redstone (MR)-2 - Loaded on Ship - Chimp "Ham"

Recovery - Mercury-Redstone (MR)-2 - Loaded on Ship - Chimp "Ham"

S61-00199 (31 Jan. 1961) --- Recovery personnel aboard the USS Donner remove ?Ham?, a 37-pound chimpanzee, from a Mercury-Redstone spacecraft following the successful Mercury-Redstone 2 (MR-2) suborbital flight... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Ham the chimp.  Photo credit: NASA KSC-LOD-61-1923

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Ham the chimp. Photo credit: NASA KSC-LOD-61-...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Ham the chimp. Photo credit: NASA

Mercury Project chimpanzee Ham, NASA Mercury project

Mercury Project chimpanzee Ham, NASA Mercury project

A three-year-old chimpanzee, named Ham, in the biopack couch for the MR-2 suborbital test flight. On January 31, 1961, a Mercury-Redstone launch from Cape Canaveral carried the chimpanzee "Ham" over 640 kilomet... More

Previous

of 291

Next