Amalgamated Wireless Australasia Ltd, York Street, Sydney, c. February 1939, Arthur Ernest Foster, glass negatives, Series 02 chiefly Sydney, ca. 1916-1947, State Library of New South Wales Box 5 No. 3
Pittsworth cheese display in the Australian Pavilion at the British Empire Exhibition, 1924 The Exhibition was opened by King George V on 23 April 1924. The monster cheese, topped by a model Ayrshire dairy cow... More
Interior view of a room featured in a magazine, 1906 Smoking room or den of a home. There is a pressed tin ceiling and shaded light fitting. Chairs, a desk, small table and bookcase furnish the room.
Muriel Forrest on the tennis court, Glen Aplin, 1922 The tennis court was part of the Reality Development Scheme, Glen Aplin Hostel. The hostel had a full house of scientists staying on 21 September 1922, who w... More
Mackenzie Brothers commercial stores, Goondiwindi, 1919 Mackenzie Bros. store was at the corner of Marshall and Herbert Streets. The firm was established in Goondiwindi ca. 1919. (Description supplied with photograph).
Pupils of the Presbyterian Girls' School, Warwick, 1933. Caption under photograph reads: Pupils of the Presbyterian Girls' School.
St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Wickam Terrace, Brisbane, 1889 This building was the second church to be raised on the same site. It was opened on 6 November 1887 and was described as being of 'elegant desi... More
View of the T & G Building in Brisbane, 1954 The T & G Building was erected in 1923/4 at the corner of Queen and Albert Streets and demolished in 1968. The building is decorated for the 1954 royal visit. (Descr... More
Kirkston, an imposing residence at Windsor, 1931. Kirkston, 23 Rupert Street, Windsor, is the work of architect G. H. M. Addison and builder John William Young. This sprawling two-storeyed brick residence was c... More
Official opening of the Wynnum Bowling Club, April 1926. A large crowd of people attended the official opening, including a young boy in school uniform.
Club Hotel Toowoomba, Queensland, 1890. The Club Hotel is a double storey brick construction with wide verandahs displaying decorative friezes and railings to protect ground and top floor from the elements. The... More
Brisbane Post Office decorated for the royal visit, 1901 Post Office in Queen Street, Brisbane decorated with banners, flags and palm fronds for the Duke of York's visit in May, 1901.
Hotel Grand Central at Innisfail in the 1950s View of the Hotel Grand Central at Innisfail. A telegraph pole is visible in front of the hotel.
Father and daughter pictured outside Ashley, a residence at Indooroopilly. Ashley was situated at 45 Riverview Terrace, Indooroopilly. Father Mr Caldwell is standing on the verandah and his youngest daughter is... More
Ivanhoe as it appears to passers by in Bell Street, Enoggera, ca. 1931. The entrance to the driveway is delinated by decorative timber gates and posts. The fence on the left of the gates is a paling fence while... More
Front view of Nyrambla in Ascot, 1932. When Nyrambla in Ascot was converted into flats, tenders were invited by Hall & Prentice Architects and Builders. Cunningham & Jones were the successful firm. More informa... More
View of Beerburrum, showing the hospital building on the hill and houses in the street, ca. 1921. After World War I Beerburrum was a soldier settlement area.
Cotton exhibition from Queensland, on display at the London British Empire Exhibition, 1924 Queensland contributed 91% of the cotton exhibited in the Australian Pavilion at Wembley, along with the sugar exhibit... More
Forestry display in the Australian Pavilion at the British Empire Exhibition, 1924 The Exhibition was opened by King George V on 23 April 1924. A large timber carving in a glass case is at the front of the dis... More
Home of the Good Shepherd, Mitchelton, Brisbane, 1931. The Good Shepherd Institution had been established by the nuns of Our Lady of Charity of the Good Shepherd. It's focus is for the reformation of girls and ... More
People's Cash Store at Fiveways, Wooloongabba, 1900. People's Cash Store on Stanley Street, Woolloongabba, consists of three storeys and has a large advertising sign on the side of the store.
Interior of the Red Chamber, Parliament House, Brisbane, 1869 Room shows the Speaker's chair, long seats for Parliamentarians and central wooden table with chairs. There is a gallery with iron balustrades situa... More
Harslett family home in the Amiens Soldier Settlement area, 1920 First bark home in the Amiens - Pikedale Soldier Settlement Block. It was the home of John (Jack) and Edith Harslett and their family. Pictured f... More
Courier office on the corner of George and Charlotte Streets, Brisbane, 1921 The building was afterwards used as a boarding house. (Description supplied with photograph.).
Image of Clarence Corner, surrounded by Queensland stamps, Woolloongabba, 1907 The store of Murray and Magee on Clarence Corner, bounded by Stanley Street and Annerley Road. The image is surrounded by a selecti... More
Motor vehicles parked outside the Charleville Railway Station, 1927 An assortment of motor vehicles and small trucks are parked outside the trailway station. The view is from the front steps of the cottage hous... More
Interior of a sitting room at a home in Taringa, Brisbane, 1932. English style residence owned by Mr & Mrs Wallace Bishop. Interior view is of the dining room and lounge. (Description supplied with photograph).... More
First home of the McBeth family at Amiens, 1920 This is the first home known as Dunsinane, which was built by Len McBeth in the Soldier Settlement. It was named after a Scottish Castle where the McBeth ancestor... More
Post Office building, Amiens, 1920 First post office in Amiens was built on the opposite side of the road to the present post office. Mr Tom Trevethan was the first postmaster. The building was made of rubboid.... More
Outdoor decorations under the shadehouse roof, ca. 1905 Tables are covered with white cloths and plants are set out on the tables. Streamers and bunting hang from the roof.
Doctor McLennan pictured beside his motor vehicle outside his home, Cloncurry, 1919 Doctor McLennan's home was 'Lorne', in Seymore Street, Cloncurry. His motor vehicle is a small tourer with spoked wheels, poss... More
Front view of the gracious residence Rakeevan, in Graceville, taken from the north side, ca. 1931. In 1895, John Ferguson MLA, a Rockhampton parliamentarian and a major shareholder in the Mt Morgan Mine company... More
Coach and four outside the Douglas Hotel, Kidston. Kidston is located in the Etheridge district of North Queensland. At one stage Kidston was the biggest gold producer in Queensland. It still has an operational... More
Street parade in Queen Street, Brisbane, January 1900. Crowds line both sides of the street to view the parade of soldiers on horseback.
Ruins of the Wills Hotel in Mackay after a fire, 1889 Fire devastated the Wills Hotel on 23 February 1889. The hotel, situated on the corner of Victoria and Sydney Streets was rebuilt and reopened for business in 1892.
Looking down Kingaroy Street, Kingaroy, 1935 The Imperial Cafe, on the left, was built after Ockelford's Chambers was destroyed by the fire of 1915. (Description supplied with photograph).
Two postal workers standing on the steps of the post office, Kilcoy, 1914 The post office opened at Kilcoy on 21 October 1913. The postmaster was Donald McNab and the telegraph messenger was Theo Henzell. (Desc... More
Sir Matthew Nathan, Governor of Queensland, ca. 1922. Matthew Nathan was born on 3 January 1862 at Paddington in London of Jewish parents. After a career in the British army, Royal Engineers, Matthew Nathan ser... More
Registrar General's Office, Brisbane ca. 1890 Erected on the corner of Queen and George Streets in 1872/4. Demolished in 1923 to make way for the final stages of the Treasury Buildings. (Description supplied wi... More
Jack Burgess being farewelled outside the Royal Hotel, Charleville, 1909. A large crowd is gathered in the street outside the Royal Hotel, to farewell Jack Burgess, who was leaving for Wave Hill, a cattle stati... More
Early street scene featuring Town Hall, Brisbane, ca. 1895. Hand coloured postcard featuring a street scene in front of Brisbane Town Hall. A tram competes with pedestrians and horses in the street. Gaslights a... More
Chemist building in Arrilalah, Longreach district, 1884 Chemist and druggist, E. W. Cohen. Signs on the front of the shop advertise surgeon, dentist, druggist, patent medicines, horses and cattle medicines and ... More
Postcard view of the main street in Nambour. Three motor vehicles are parked in the street at the corner. A horse and cart can be seen in the left foreground, standing in the street outside W. Whalley's Universal Stores.
View from the corner of Beech and Oak Streets, Barcaldine, ca. 1928. Looking down Beech Street towards the Soldier's Memorial at the intersection of Ash and Beech Streets. Radio Theatre is the large building on... More
Soldier's Memorial on the corner of Ash and Beech Streets, Barcaldine, ca. 1928. The clock tower is a memorial to soldiers killed in World War I.
Cross of Sacrifice and Stone of Remembrance memorials at Toowong Cemetery, Brisbane, 1924 This album was compiled by the Anzac Day Commemoration Committee to celebrate the unveiling and dedication of the Cross ... More
West End Brewery after floods, Brisbane, 1893 West End Brewery was established in 1886 by [Albert] Lanfear, [George Bruce] Nicol and Company, on the corner of Montague Road and Merivale Street. The firm continu... More
Brunswick Street, Fortitude Valley, Brisbane, ca. 1905. Street scene showing the intersection of Brunswick Street and Wickham Street. There are buildings on both sides of the street and horsedrawn vehicles trav... More
Workers washing clothes damaged in the flood, Brisbane, 1893 Workers are outside the D. L. Brown & Co. building in Short Street. Large tubs of water are spread around the area for people to wash the clothes in.... More
Queenton State School and students, Charters Towers, 1904. This is a photograph taken from a small album of hand coloured photographs about Charters Towers, including some mines, published by T. Willmett & Son,... More
Finney, Isles & company building, Brisbane, 1902 Finney Isles was situated at the City Exchange, Brisbane and also at Maryborough. They sold soft furnishings, furniture and general merchandise. (Description sup... More
Mutual Life Association of Australasia building in Queen Street, Brisbane, 1902 Images taken from the souvenir booklet published for the Coronation of King Edward VII. Published expressly for Reliable Firms of ... More
Queensland Mild Cure Company building at 318 Elizabeth Street, Brisbane, 1902 Images taken from the souvenir booklet published for the Coronation of King Edward VII. Published expressly for Reliable Firms of To... More
Front view of C. Morley's Chemist shop, Mackay, 1901. Looking from the street to the front of the chemist shop. A horse and buggy stand in the street and several people are standing in front of the shop on the footpath.
Altar and painted ceiling in St. Joseph's Church, Brisbane, 1948 The ceiling of this church was painted by Brisbane artist James Wieneke in 1948. The altar is constructed of marble and has a central arch betwee... More