The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine

An air force – in the broadest sense – is the national military branch that primarily conducts aerial warfare. More specifically, it is the branch of a nation's armed services that is responsible for aerial warfare as distinct from an army or navy. Typically, air forces are responsible for gaining control of the air, carrying out strategic and tactical bombing missions, and providing support to land and naval forces often in the form of aerial reconnaissance and close air support.

The term air force may also refer to a tactical air force or numbered air force, which is an operational formation either within a national air force or comprising several air components from allied nations. Air forces typically consist of a combination of fighters, bombers, helicopters, transport planes and other aircraft.

Many air forces may command and control other air defence assets such as anti-aircraft artillery, surface-to-air missiles, or anti-ballistic missile warning networks and defensive systems. Some air forces are also responsible for operations of the military space and intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM). Some nations, principally countries who modelled their militaries along Soviet lines, have or had an air defence force which is organizationally separate from their air force.

Peacetime/non-wartime activities of air forces may include air policing and air-sea rescue.

Air forces are not just composed of pilots, but also rely on a significant amount of support from other personnel to operate. Logistics, security, intelligence, special operations, cyber space support, maintenance, weapons loaders, and many other specialties are required by all air forces.

Air force Media

233,974 media by topicpage 1 of 2340
Members of the German military carry lit torches in honor of General (GEN) Charles L. Donnelly Jr., departing commander in chief, US Air Force Europe, and Allied Air Forces Central Europe. The Soldiers are participating in the"Grand Tatoo,"one of the West Germany military's highest honors

Members of the German military carry lit torches in honor of General (...

The original finding aid described this photograph as: Subject Operation/Series: NOMAD THRUST Base: Ramstein Air Base Country: West Germany (FRG) Scene Camera Operator: MSGT Patrick Nugent Release Status: ... More

A close up view of a US Air Force B-2 Spirit Bomber from 509th Bomb Wing, Whiteman AFB, MO being refueled by the boom and refueling arm of a KC-10 Extender aircraft. The image was taken from the Boom Operators position

A close up view of a US Air Force B-2 Spirit Bomber from 509th Bomb Wi...

The original finding aid described this photograph as: Base: Whiteman Air Force Base State: Missouri (MO) Country: United States Of America (USA) Scene Camera Operator: TSGT Chuck Reger Release Status: Rel... More

X-15 #2 just after launch

X-15 #2 just after launch

Description: The X-15 #2 (56-6671) launches away from the B-52 mothership with its rocket engine ignited. The white patches near the middle of the ship are frost from the liquid oxygen used in the propulsion sy... More

NASA Lifting Bodies on Lakebed, Armstrong flight research center

NASA Lifting Bodies on Lakebed, Armstrong flight research center

(November 30, 1968) The wingless lifting body aircraft sitting on Rogers Dry Lake at what is now NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, California. From left to right are the X-24A, M2-F3 and the HL-10.... More

Andrew Tester (left), Suffolk County Council archaeologist, explains the value of the archaeological treasure found on Royal Air Force (RAF) Mildenhall, UK, to US Air Force (USAF) Colonel (COL) Richard T. Devereaux (second from left), Commander, 100th Air Refueling Wing (ARW). When a new softball field was planned, Mr. Tester and his colleagues were called in to survey an area first and they discovered the artifacts. This body was not only the only find that the archaeologists found, there were several other remains, pottery, and coins. The dates for most of the finds are believed to be from the early Roman age, 43 - 410 C.E. (Common Era)), but some items could fall into the Neolithic...

Andrew Tester (left), Suffolk County Council archaeologist, explains t...

The original finding aid described this photograph as: [Complete] Scene Caption: Andrew Tester (left), Suffolk County Council archaeologist, explains the value of the archaeological treasure found on Royal Air... More

Family and friends welcome home Airmen from the 16th

Family and friends welcome home Airmen from the 16th

Family and friends welcome home Airmen from the 16th Airlift Squadron August 2, 2018, at Joint Base Charleston S.C. The Airmen were returning from a deployment to Southwest Asia where they managed to complete a... More

U.S. Air Force C-17A Globemaster III pilots, assigned

U.S. Air Force C-17A Globemaster III pilots, assigned

U.S. Air Force C-17A Globemaster III pilots, assigned to the 16th Airlift Squadron, conduct a pre-mission brief before a local sortie at Joint Base Charleston, S.C., Dec. 13, 2019. The 16th AS is one of three a... More

Members of the Hurlburt Field Honor Guard perform ceremonial

Members of the Hurlburt Field Honor Guard perform ceremonial

Members of the Hurlburt Field Honor Guard perform ceremonial duties at the Jockey-14 25th Anniversary Memorial Ceremony at Hurlburt Field, Florida, March 14, 2019. Jockey-14 experienced an in-flight explosion, ... More

A view of the "Old Bridge" in Mostar. The U.S. participants

A view of the "Old Bridge" in Mostar. The U.S. participants

A view of the "Old Bridge" in Mostar. The U.S. participants of Shared Resilience 2012 toured the city during a cultural day June 3. The "Old Bridge" is an Ottoman bridge from the 16th century that connects the ... More

Brig. Gen. James Cluff, Remotely Piloted Aircraft,

Brig. Gen. James Cluff, Remotely Piloted Aircraft,

Brig. Gen. James Cluff, Remotely Piloted Aircraft, Big Wing Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance director and Col. Joseph Campo, 49th Wing commander, operate training prototypes, Feb. 8, 2019, on Hollo... More

U.S. Army Capt. Ryan Gibbons, 9th Special Operations

U.S. Army Capt. Ryan Gibbons, 9th Special Operations

U.S. Army Capt. Ryan Gibbons, 9th Special Operations Squadron pilot, performs preflight checks in an MC-130J Commando II before takeoff during Emerald Warrior/Trident at Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., ... More

An aircrew from the 16th Special Operations Squadron

An aircrew from the 16th Special Operations Squadron

An aircrew from the 16th Special Operations Squadron at Cannon Air Force Base, N.M., arrive in an AC-130W Stinger II to participate in Emerald Warrior/Trident at the Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., Janu... More

Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, the North Dakota adjutant

Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, the North Dakota adjutant

Maj. Gen. David Sprynczynatyk, the North Dakota adjutant general, right, places an Air Force Outstanding Unit Award streamer onto the 119th Wing guidon as Col. Kent Olson lowers it into place during a ceremony,... More

Cyber Evolution: 16th WS

Cyber Evolution: 16th WS

Members from the 16th Weather Squadron (WS) pose for a group photo in the lobby of the 557th Weather Wing (WW) Headquarters Building at Offutt Air Force Base, Nebraska, October 10, 2019. The 16th WS is reorgani... More

Air Commandos, friends and family of the Jockey-14

Air Commandos, friends and family of the Jockey-14

Air Commandos, friends and family of the Jockey-14 crew attend the 25th Anniversary Memorial Ceremony at Hurlburt Field, Florida, March 14, 2019. Jockey-14 was the tactical call sign of an AC-130H Spectre gunsh... More

Airman 1st Class Jacob Grieger, 14th Airlift Squadron

Airman 1st Class Jacob Grieger, 14th Airlift Squadron

Airman 1st Class Jacob Grieger, 14th Airlift Squadron load master, communicates to a C-17 Globemaster III pilot at Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina, March 18, 2019, just before takeoff. Loadmasters are res... More

U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class Spencer Neveaux, 316

U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class Spencer Neveaux, 316

U.S. Air Force Airman 1st Class Spencer Neveaux, 316 TRS student and red rope level Airmen Leader pins a green rope onto Airman 1st Class James Lee, 316th TRS student at the 316th TRS on Goodfellow Air Force B... More

U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Haider A. Khan, (left), deputy

U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Haider A. Khan, (left), deputy

U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Haider A. Khan, (left), deputy commander for the 3rd Air Support Operations Squadron, based out of Fort Hood, Texas, presents the Meritorious Service Medal to Air Force Lt. Col. Adrian N... More

U.S. Air Force Col. Bernard Mater, 738th Air Expeditionary

U.S. Air Force Col. Bernard Mater, 738th Air Expeditionary

U.S. Air Force Col. Bernard Mater, 738th Air Expeditionary Advisory Group commander; Haji Nasrollah, a tribal elder from the Kandahar province; Afghan National Army Brig. Gen. Amir Baqaei, 205th Corps deputy co... More

U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Jason Scott, commander of the

U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Jason Scott, commander of the

U.S. Air Force Lt. Col. Jason Scott, commander of the 116th Operations Support Squadron, Georgia Air National Guard, explains forms used on an E-8C Joint STARS to Mercer University upperclassmen at Robins Air F... More

A-10 soars

A-10 soars

An A-10 Warthog participates in a joint air attack team exercise at Yakima Training Center, Wash., Feb. 26. The exercise was the culmination of three weeks of training between members of the Air Force, Navy and... More

An Afghan Air Force Mi-17 helicopter assigned to the

An Afghan Air Force Mi-17 helicopter assigned to the

An Afghan Air Force Mi-17 helicopter assigned to the Kandahar Air Wing taxis for takeoff at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, April 19, 2011. Members of the Lithuanian, Belgian and American Air Force are mentori... More

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Todd Zwickle and Staff Sgt.

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Todd Zwickle and Staff Sgt.

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Todd Zwickle and Staff Sgt. Aaron Davey, 738th Air Expeditionary Advisory Group, assist members of the Afghanistan National Army Air Force's 305th Aircraft Maintenance Squadron in load... More

A U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the

A U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the

A U.S. Air Force C-17 Globemaster III assigned to the 16th Airlift Squadron, Joint Base Charleston, South Carolina, supporting Combined Joint Task Force-Horn of Africa, delivers food aid from the United States ... More

JFOs from 1st Squadron, 40th Cavalry Regiment, 4th

JFOs from 1st Squadron, 40th Cavalry Regiment, 4th

JFOs from 1st Squadron, 40th Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), and JTACs from 3rd Air Support Operations Squadron waiting for go-ahead to embark on UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters at Fort Wainw... More

U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Abdul Jammal Ameer, 73rd

U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Abdul Jammal Ameer, 73rd

U.S. Air Force Staff Sgt. Abdul Jammal Ameer, 73rd Expeditionary Air Control Squadron, prays at the Eid al-Adha celebration at Kandahar Air Field, Afghanistan, Nov. 16. Hundreds of Muslims gathered at the worsh... More

An MC-130J Commando II sits on the flight line before

An MC-130J Commando II sits on the flight line before

An MC-130J Commando II sits on the flight line before takeoff during Emerald Warrior/Trident at Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., January 21, 2019. Emerald Warrior/Trident is the largest joint special ope... More

Aircrews from the 20th Special Operations Squadron

Aircrews from the 20th Special Operations Squadron

Aircrews from the 20th Special Operations Squadron and 9th SOS prepare CV-22 Ospreys and an MC-130J Commando II for takeoff during Emerald Warrior/Trident at Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., January 24, ... More

U.S. Air Force Airman Colton West, 316th Training Squadron

U.S. Air Force Airman Colton West, 316th Training Squadron

U.S. Air Force Airman Colton West, 316th Training Squadron student, holds the Gideon at the position of attention while the flight is sized for an open rank inspection outside of the 316th TRS on Goodfellow Air... More

Senior Airman Brennan Hill, 9th Special Operations

Senior Airman Brennan Hill, 9th Special Operations

Senior Airman Brennan Hill, 9th Special Operations Squadron loadmaster, performs an engine check for an MC-130J Commando II during Emerald Warrior/Trident at Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., January 16, ... More

Students from Mercer University's computer science

Students from Mercer University's computer science

Students from Mercer University's computer science department presented software solutions to members of Team JSTARS, Georgia Air National Guard, in Macon, Ga., Dec. 13, 2019. The upperclassmen created computer... More

Tech Sgt. Joe Joiner, 16th Airlift Squadron loadmaster,

Tech Sgt. Joe Joiner, 16th Airlift Squadron loadmaster,

Tech Sgt. Joe Joiner, 16th Airlift Squadron loadmaster, guides a member of the 78th Logistics Readiness Squadron, Robins Air Force Base, Ga., as they load a cargo pallet on to the C-17 Globemaster III at the Ro... More

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Mark Landa (center), a cadre member

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Mark Landa (center), a cadre member

U.S. Army Staff Sgt. Mark Landa (center), a cadre member at the Warrior Transition Unit on Fort Bliss, runs through an exercise drill in the boxing ring at the Wolves Den, El Paso Texas, July 29. A native of El... More

An aircrew from the 9th Special Operations Squadron

An aircrew from the 9th Special Operations Squadron

An aircrew from the 9th Special Operations Squadron perform preflight inspections in an MC-130J Commando II during Emerald Warrior/Trident at Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., January 19, 2019. Emerald Wa... More

Tech. Sgt. Jeffrey Tremel, 27th Special Operations

Tech. Sgt. Jeffrey Tremel, 27th Special Operations

Tech. Sgt. Jeffrey Tremel, 27th Special Operations Support Squadron independent duty medical technician, preps medical equipment before an exercise during Emerald Warrior/Trident at Naval Air Station North Isla... More

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Robert L. Woods, 466th Air

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Robert L. Woods, 466th Air

U.S. Air Force Tech. Sgt. Robert L. Woods, 466th Air Expeditionary Group, Explosive Ordnance Disposal team leader, watches a detonation of home-made explosives and expired ammunition while dressed in a Santa ha... More

Macedonian army troops stand behind tables covered

Macedonian army troops stand behind tables covered

Macedonian army troops stand behind tables covered with North Atlantic Treaty Organization-International Security Assistance Force medals during a joint presentation ceremony held at ISAF Headquarters, Oct. 20,... More

Lt. Gen. David Rodriguez, commander, International

Lt. Gen. David Rodriguez, commander, International

Lt. Gen. David Rodriguez, commander, International Security Assistance Force Joint Command and deputy commander, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan, Maj. Gen. Nick Carter commander, International Security Force Regional C... More

[Man pointing to glass globe during experiment demonstrating the force of air pressure on a vacuum]

[Man pointing to glass globe during experiment demonstrating the force...

Title devised by Library staff. Illus. in: Ottonis de Guericke Experimenta nova (ut vocantur) magdeburgica de vacuo spatio primùm à R.P. Gaspare Schotto ... nunc verò ab ipso auctore perfectiùs edita, variisque... More

The Declaration of Independence, drafted and signed

The Declaration of Independence, drafted and signed

The Declaration of Independence, drafted and signed July 4, 1776, was set in place to establish that all men are created equal and that all are entitled to freedom. This is one of many historical documents pres... More

CSAF initiative ignites Incirlik Airmen

CSAF initiative ignites Incirlik Airmen

U.S. Air Force Airmen pose for a photo in front of the 728th Air Mobility Squadron at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey, Aug. 31, 2018. The 728th AMS and the 313th Expeditionary Operations Support Squadron teamed up to... More

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David L. Goldfein and

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David L. Goldfein and

Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David L. Goldfein and Chief Master Sgt. of the Air Force Kaleth O. Wright speak with U.S. Air Force Airmen assigned to the 22nd Expeditionary Air Refueling Squadron during a visit ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3672

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3662

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by t... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6309

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3674

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. Coast Guard operates the lighthouse's beacon the U.S. Air Force owns the lighthouse.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3142

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Cana...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida serves as a navigational aid for boaters and fishing interests along Florida's Atlantic coast. The U.S. C... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.        The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3664

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The low structure to the right of the lighthouse is the original oil house. The U.S. Air Force now owns the lighthouse.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3143

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Natural vegetation surrounds the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The low structure to the right of the lighthouse is the original oil house.... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3139

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of th...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The U.S. Coast Guard operates the beacon of the historic Cape Canaveral Light as an active navigational aid. The lighthouse resides on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida and is ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  workers help place the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck.  It will be moved to a facility near Cape Canaveral for repairs and renovation. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0456

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wo...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers help place the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck. It will be moved to a facility near Cape ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned by the U.S. Air Force, has resided in its current spot on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida since 1894.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3140

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned b...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- The historic Cape Canaveral Light, now owned by the U.S. Air Force, has resided in its current spot on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida since 1894. The first lighthouse on ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0575

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape..                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3669

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks over the Cape.. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S.... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3673

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.      The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3666

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0577

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers secure the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room will be moved to a facility near Cape Canaveral for repairs and renovation. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0457

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wor...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers secure the lamp room detached from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto a flat bed truck. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6310

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force ...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – The Cape Canaveral Air Force Station lighthouse takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines in the background. The Canaveral light is the only one o... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.          The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3663

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation surrounding the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. Air Force.     The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3144

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation ...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- A daisy thrives amidst the natural vegetation surrounding the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. ... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6307

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural plans of the keeper's house, next to the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, is planned by the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation. The lighthouse currently is owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3141

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Reconstruction from the original architectural plans of the keeper's house, next to the historic Cape Canaveral Light on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida, is planned by the Ca... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  workers below help guide the detached lamp room from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto the ground.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.   The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0455

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wo...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers below help guide the detached lamp room from the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse onto the ground. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to see... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers get ready to attach a crane to the top of the lamp room on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0452

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, wor...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, workers get ready to attach a crane to the top of the lamp room on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead.            The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3670

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3668

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern. To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place. The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868. An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history. The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse. As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles. Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0578

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane begins lowering a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work inc... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3675

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- The lantern room of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, with its modern first-order optic, takes on a warm glow as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Can... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  a crane lowers the detached lamp room alongside the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0454

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane lowers the detached lamp room alongside the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room i... More

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by the U.S. Air Force.      In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-6308

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrast...

CAPE CANAVERAL AIR FORCE STATION, Fla. – This view looking up contrasts the black and white lighthouse at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station against the Florida sky. The Canaveral light is the only one owned by t... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane is lifted near the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse for use in removing the lamp room at top. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0451

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a c...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane is lifted near the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse for use in removing the lamp room at top. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. T... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA.  - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station,  a crane swings the detached lamp room clear of the beacon on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse.  Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in.  The lamp room is being removed for repairs and refurbishment.  In addition, the original brass roof will be restored and put back in place. The Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is the only operational lighthouse owned by the Air Force. It was first erected in 1868 near the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.  Photo credit: NASA/Jack Pfaller KSC-06pd0453

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. - At Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, a crane swings the detached lamp room clear of the beacon on the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse. Leaks in the roof allowed moisture to seep in. T... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0579

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lante...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- Workers help guide a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work include... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky.                  The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3667

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape C...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- As the sun rises, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse is silhouetted against the early morning sky. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owne... More

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is home to the historic Cape Canaveral Light, a lighthouse built circa 1868 and now owned by the U.S. Air Force.    The first lighthouse on Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil. In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse was not finished until 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to a new location about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. For more information on the lighthouse, visit http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/about/history/lighthouse.html. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2014-3138

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. -- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida is home to the historic Cape Canaveral Light, a lighthouse built circa 1868 and now owned by the U.S. Air Force. The first lighthouse on Ca... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.  The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0576

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lifts a refurbished lantern to place on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward a $1 million restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. ... More

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by the U.S. Air Force. In 2000, the Coast Guard transferred ownership of the lighthouse structure and its grounds to the Air Force, which is now responsible for maintaining it. The U.S. Coast Guard continues to operate the modern first-order beacon as an active navigational aid. The first lighthouse at Cape Canaveral was built near the tip of the Cape in 1848. The structure was only about 60 feet high with a rather dim light powered by whale oil.  In 1859, work began nearby on a new, taller iron structure. Construction was halted during the Civil War, and the lighthouse finally was finished in 1868. The structure, with a brick lining inside its iron exterior, was painted with its "daymark" black and white horizontal bands in 1873 to make it easier to identify during the day as a navigation point. Between 1892 and 1894, the lighthouse was dismantled and moved to its new home about a mile from the coast, where it stands today. Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2012-3671

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Ca...

Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. -- A warm glow envelopes the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse as dawn breaks and a full moon still shines overhead. The Canaveral light is the only operating lighthouse owned by ... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --  A crane is ready to lift a refurbished lantern to the top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0574

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane is ready to lift a refurbished ...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane is ready to lift a refurbished lantern to the top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work... More

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. --   A crane lowers a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon.   The work included sandblasting the metal shell and filling the corrosion pits with epoxy, refurbishing the balcony and repairing the lantern.  To further the restoration, the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse Foundation plans to rebuild the lighthouse keeper's quarters from the original plans, as well as establish space for its archives and develop a meeting place.  The only lighthouse in the nation operated by the Air Force, it began guiding mariners in 1868.  An encroaching sea caused it to be moved inland and it was re-lighted in 1894 at its present location. The refurbishment was sponsored by the U.S. Air Force 45th Space Wing, whose officials said they wanted to help preserve the area's history.  The original brass roof, which had been in storage since its removal years ago, has been restored and once again tops the lighthouse.  As it is an active aid to navigation, the U.S. Coast Guard continues to be responsible for the optic, or light, which has a range of up to 22 nautical miles.  Photo credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett KSC-07pd0580

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lowers a refurbished lantern o...

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, FLA. -- A crane lowers a refurbished lantern on top of the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, capping more than a year's work toward restoration of the 150-year-old beacon. The work included s... More

Officerare uppställda för porträtt framför Tunaportalen. Avfotografering av bild ur tryck.

Officerare uppställda för porträtt framför Tunaportalen. Avfotograferi...

Officerare uppställda för porträtt framför Tunaportalen. Avfotografering av bild ur tryck.

Foto av markis Claes Lagergren, kabinettskammarherre hos påven. Inramat sv/v fotografi med förgylld ram. Reproduktion från målat porträtt. Signerad av Lagergren.

Foto av markis Claes Lagergren, kabinettskammarherre hos påven. Inrama...

Einar förolyckades vid provflygning av flygplan J 6 Jaktfalken 27 januari 1931.

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – One of two solid rocket boosters arrives on Launch Pad 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.  it is the left rocket and it will be lifted into the mobile service tower and mated to the GOES-O Delta IV launch vehicle. GOES–O is one of a series of Geostationary Operational Environmental Satellites. The multi-mission GOES series N-P will be a vital contributor to weather, solar and space operations and science. NASA and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or NOAA, are actively engaged in a cooperative program to expand the existing GOES system with the launch of the GOES N-P satellites. Launch of the GOES-O is targeted for no earlier than April 2009.    Photo credit: NASA/Ben Smegelsky KSC-2009-1901

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – One of two solid rocket boosters arrives on Lau...

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. – One of two solid rocket boosters arrives on Launch Pad 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station. it is the left rocket and it will be lifted into the mobile service tower and mated to the ... More

Vykort av  J 35 D från F 3 Malmen på landningsbana med . Märkt 'J 35D 'Draken' Kungl Östgöta Flygflottilj F 3 Malmslätt' .

Vykort av J 35 D från F 3 Malmen på landningsbana med . Märkt 'J 35D ...

Vykort av J 35 D från F 3 Malmen på landningsbana med . Märkt 'J 35D 'Draken' Kungl Östgöta Flygflottilj F 3 Malmslätt' .

Porträttfotografi av militären Gustaf Gripensköld, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

Porträttfotografi av militären Gustaf Gripensköld, kompaniofficer på F...

Porträttfotografi av militären Gustaf Gripensköld, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

Porträttfotografi av militären A. Wolke, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

Porträttfotografi av militären A. Wolke, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta...

Porträttfotografi av militären A. Wolke, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

Porträttfotografi av militären C. G. Johnson, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

Porträttfotografi av militären C. G. Johnson, kompaniofficer på F 3 Ös...

Porträttfotografi av militären C. G. Johnson, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. Heather Pringle, 502nd Air

U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. Heather Pringle, 502nd Air

U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. Heather Pringle, 502nd Air Base Wing and Joint Base San Antonio commander, speaks during a ceremony celebrating the anniversary of the first flight of Army Signal Corps aircraft No. 1 ... More

Porträttfotografi av militären S. Thorsson, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

Porträttfotografi av militären S. Thorsson, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östg...

Porträttfotografi av militären S. Thorsson, kompaniofficer på F 3 Östgöta flygflottilj.

Foulois

Foulois

Members of Floresvillie High School Air Force JROTC present the colors at an event honoring Benjamin Foulois March 2, 2017 at Joint Base San Antonio-Fort Sam Houston. Foulois is credited with completing the fir... More

A Typhoon assigned to the 3 Fighter Squadron, Royal

A Typhoon assigned to the 3 Fighter Squadron, Royal

A Typhoon assigned to the 3 Fighter Squadron, Royal Air Force Coningsby U.K., launches from the flightline for a training sortie during Red Flag 16-1 at Nellis Air Force Base, Nev., Jan. 27, 2015. The 3 FS was ... More

Flygplan Nieuport IV-G med två mans besättning.Flygplanet sett bakifrån, med militärer och personer omkring.

Flygplan Nieuport IV-G med två mans besättning.Flygplanet sett bakifrå...

Flygplan Nieuport IV-G med två mans besättning.Flygplanet sett bakifrån, med militärer och personer omkring.

Flygplan M 1 Nieuport vid Axvalla hed. Militärer kring flygplanet. I förarsits sitter Gösta von Porat. Till höger i militärklädsel står Allan Jungner.

Flygplan M 1 Nieuport vid Axvalla hed. Militärer kring flygplanet. I f...

Flygplan M 1 Nieuport vid Axvalla hed. Militärer kring flygplanet. I förarsits sitter Gösta von Porat. Till höger i militärklädsel står Allan Jungner.

Burgess tractor of Burgess Co. & Curtis, 100 HP Renault, sold Army Air Service and delivered Oct. 21, 1913

Burgess tractor of Burgess Co. & Curtis, 100 HP Renault, sold Army Air...

View of pontoon biplane. Title and other information transcribed from caption card and item. Photograph by USAAS. "3962 A.S." Ernest L. Jones Collection. Caption card tracings: Air Force, U.S.; Airplanes 1911-1919.

Artwork: "First American Air Victories," World War I, April 18, 1918. Artist: John McCoy, US Air Force Art Collection

Artwork: "First American Air Victories," World War I, April 18, 1918. ...

The original finding aid described this photograph as: Country: Unknown Scene Camera Operator: Unknown Release Status: Released to Public Combined Military Service Digital Photographic Files

Artwork: "Villeneuye, France, World War I - March 6, 1918". Artist: John McCoy. US Air Force Art Collection

Artwork: "Villeneuye, France, World War I - March 6, 1918". Artist: Jo...

The original finding aid described this photograph as: Country: Unknown Scene Camera Operator: Unknown Release Status: Released to Public Combined Military Service Digital Photographic Files

Finish of the Officers 100 yards, Flanders

Finish of the Officers 100 yards, Flanders

This photograph is one of a series showing a Royal Air Force sports day. Here, four officers are competing in a sprint, watched by air crew. The provision of entertainments of this sort to improve morale reflec... More

Army chaplain conducts a service from the cockpit of an aeroplane, France, during World War I

Army chaplain conducts a service from the cockpit of an aeroplane, Fra...

Preaching from a rather unusual form of pulpit, this photograph shows an army chaplain giving a service to the men from the front seat of an aeroplane. The troops are gathered round to listen to the sermon, wit... More

Damaged aeroplanes at an RAF repair depot

Damaged aeroplanes at an RAF repair depot

In this photograph Royal Air Force mechanics are salvaging parts out of wrecked planes. This scene clearly illustrates the considerable variation in types of plane used during the war. It also acts as a reminde... More

Previous

of 2340

Next