Young Women's Christian Association, 146 South High Street, Akron, Summit County, OH
Significance: The Akron YWCA is the largest building ever designed by the prominent local architectural firm of Fichter & Brooker. This 10-story building is essentially Art Deco in style but also reflects a strong Neoclassic Revival influence. Dedicated in 1931, the YWCA is one of several major downtown buildings constructed during Akron's industrial growth period of the late 1920s and early 1930s. Furthermore, it is located within a two-block area that contains a number of buildings which are compatible in feeling and style, including the Masonic Temple, Municipal Building, Summit County Courthouse, Second National Building (now Centran), the former Polsky's department store, First National Tower (formerly Central Tower), Mayflower Hotel (now Mayflower Manor Apartments), and the YWCA.
Survey number: HABS OH-2266