William Fortney House, Route 664, approximately 1500 feet East of Jay Street Bridge, Lockport, Clinton County, PA
Photo caption pages & written data include site & floor plans.
Significance: The William Fortney House is locally significant as an intact example of the 19th century canal-era housing of Lower Lockport. As a collection, the canal-era houses of Lower Lockport exhibit simple design and minimal ornamental detailing. They also share similar two-story, side-gabled massing and a uniform setback from the road. The William Fortney House is architecturally interesting as it contains vernacular Greek Revival stylistic elements including recessed and paneled front door surrounds, former transom and side light openings, a central hall plan, and corner boards.
Survey number: HABS PA-5539
Building/structure dates: ca. 1869 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: after. 1950- before. 1960 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1972 Subsequent Work