Whipple Cast & Wrought Iron Bowstring Truss Bridge, Normans Kill Vicinity, Albany, Albany County, NY
Bridge moved to present location ca. 1900.
More information is available by reviewing U.S. patent no. 2064.
Significance: One of only two known surviving "Whipple" bowstring truss bridges, and one of the few remaining composite cast- and wrought-iron bridges, this span was built according to the patented design of Squire Whipple, which was used widely during the second half of the nineteenth century mainly in New York State. When Whipple's patent of 1841 expired in 1869, the design was copied down to the last detail by a number of builders, such as DeGraff, who were glad to avoid royalties.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-5
Survey number: HAER NY-4
Building/structure dates: 1867 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1900