West Branch Pennsylvania Canal, South of State Route 664 along North bank of West Branch of Susquehanna River, 2,000 feet East of Jay Street Bridge, Lock Haven, Clinton County, PA
Significance: An important link in the statewide transportation network of the nineteenth century, the West Branch Pennsylvania Canal did much to economically develop the valley of the West Branch of the Susquehanna River from 1834 to 1889 by linking the valley with larger markets to the east. Together with other canal lines in the area, the West Branch Pennsylvania Canal was also responsible for the creation of Lock Haven and neighboring Lockport to a lesser extent as a center for transporting, processing, and distributing agricultural products, iron and coal, and lumber.
Survey number: HAER PA-188
Building/structure dates: ca. 1834 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1873- 1874 Subsequent Work