Wellton-Mohawk Irrigation System, Radial Gate Check with Drop, Wellton Canal 9.9, West of Avenue 34 East & north of County Ninth Street, Wellton, Yuma County, AZ
Significance: With the completion of the irrigation system, Colorado River water was delivered to previously arid lands in the lower Gila River Valley. Construction of the Wellton Canal began in April 1951 and was completed in June 1953. The canal diverts from the Wellton-Mohawk Canal at Mile 18.0 and carries water by gravity flow to a point about 1 mile west of Antelope Hill, then trends west-northwest, delivering water to the central lands of the Wellton-Mohawk Division. The radial gate check with drop is not individually eligible for listing in the National Register of Historic Places, but it contributes to the function and significance of the Wellton-Mohawk irrigation system.
Survey number: HAER AZ-68-E
Building/structure dates: 1953 Initial Construction