Wayne County Courthouse, Courthouse Square, Richmond, Wayne County, IN
Significance: The Wayne County Courthouse is one of Indiana's most imposing 19th century courthouses, and is a handsome example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture. It is massively scaled with rock-faced stone walls, rounded arches, and steeply pitched multiple gable roofs. The structure was designed by prominent Midwest architect James McLaughlin of Cincinnati. McLaughlin designed many of Cincinnati's most distinguished late 19th century buildings, including the courthouse, public library and art museum. The courthouse was constructed of excellent materials and embellished with hand-crafted glass windows, wall frescoes, and wooden and stone carvings. Although the structure is predominantly monochromatic, the interplay of surface textures creates an appearance of diversity. Some of the original interior flavor has been lost with the removal of frescoing and original light fixtures, but much of the woodwork and original furniture remain, lending to its overall character. The Courthouse remains one of the Midwest's most impressive 19th century commercial buildings.
Survey number: HABS IN-115
Building/structure dates: ca. 1893 Initial Construction