The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
Wayland town meeting minutes, volume 5. Wayland, Mass.

Wayland town meeting minutes, volume 5. Wayland, Mass.

description

Summary

Volume five started on Feb. 1901 meeting. Every year the town received funding for perpetual maintenance of cemetery lots giving the donor’s name and the those buried there. The town continued to vote money for the support of soldiers and their family. The town decided to put electricity into the town hall, including the room used by the Catholic Church in 1902. That same year it was voted to put electricity in the library and place a memorial tablet in the library honoring Warren G. Roby who gave land for library building. All the gas apparatus used to light the town buildings was sold. The Grace Campbell Draper Fund was accepted from Wallace S. Draper for the purchase of non-fiction books for the library. The Catholic Society lost their lease for a room in the Town Hall and the Wayland Athletic and Businessmen Club leased the same room in 1906. Town appropriated money to reset headstones and repair lots in North Cemetery of those who no longer had family. They decided to celebrate “Old Home Week” in Wayland and later Memorial Day by using town funds. Cemetery rules and regulations were written for the first time. The Cochituate Branch Library was approved. Big concerns about eradicating the Gypsy Moth and Brown-tail Moth continued. On a separate ballot, Town accepted an act to protect forest and “sprout land” from fire. A road machine was bought for $250. Concern for the safety and preservation of past records reoccurs through the years. The town farm for the poor was sold and the Office of Overseers of the Poor was abolished but re-eestablished later. Highway workers now also have a nine-hour work day, the fireman receive a fifty cent raise when working at a fire and town laborers were paid $2.25 per day in 1912. Also, in 1912, a portion of Main street from Five Paths to Wayland center, had the name change to Cochituate Road. Cochituate Ballfield was scheduled for purchase in 1911 but failed. In that same year, the town voted to establish a retirement system for the town employees. In 1913 “sanitary conditions” was voted for the town hall. Water was piped into the kitchen in town hall in 1914. Although the purchase of a steam roller was approved, it was several years before it was bought! Money was given to support the fire tower at Nobscot Hill in Framingham. 1919 had the town voting to pay for tuition of children in state aided vocational school. Year after year, the town voted to not give out licenses granting intoxicating liquors for sale. The town paid for vaccinations for the citizens. The fire department got an automobile in 1914. 1917 saw town laborers receiving $3.00 per day. Yearly voting was done on snow removal, funds to defend the town from legal actions, non-liquor licenses, and accepting donated monies. Water meters were sold in 1918 and the charge of $2.00 per year for water used in bathtubs was discontinued. Town supported job appointments for married women. Town provided a welcome home for soldiers who served in the World War (1919). Cochituate Ballfield, formally known as Griffin’s field was purchased. The last recorded meeting is Nov. 6, 1919 for a vote for the representative of District 13 – Benjamin Loring Young of Weston won.
Courtesy of Wayland Town Clerk

date_range

Date

1901 - 1919
create

Source

Wayland Town Clerk
copyright

Copyright info

Public Domain

Explore more

wayland massachusetts historical records
wayland massachusetts historical records