PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Source
Washburn-Crosby Milling Complex, Washburn 'A' Mill, 700-709 South First & Second Streets, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN

Washburn-Crosby Milling Complex, Washburn 'A' Mill, 700-709 South First & Second Streets, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN

 
 
description

Summary

1989 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: The Washburn "A" Mill is the only structure remaining from the original Minneapolis milling complex established by Cadwallader C. Washburn in the 1870's. As such it is the most significant link between the Washburn-Crosby Milling Company of the 19th century and the vast operations of the present-day General Mills. The Washburn "A" Mill was erected originally in 1874 and rebuilt in 1879-80. It was equipped in the beginning exactly as the now-demolished Washburn "C" Mill. The Washburn "A" Mill recalls the structure's role as the nation's first automatic, all-roller, gradual reduction mill.
Survey number: HABS MN-69-A
Building/structure dates: 1878 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 83004388

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
McMullen, George
Meyer, Alan
Anderson, Gary
Eid, Karen
Bakken, Pamela J
Fuerstneau, Jill
Metzdorff, Benjamin Q
Forss, Brian J
Prafcke, Carol
Kapler, Todd
Chonis, Diane
McNelis, Lisa J
Donahue, Kevin E
Anderson, Patricia L
Dunwiddie, Foster, project manager
University of Minnesota, School of Architecture & Landscape Architecture, sponsor
Madrid, Chris, transmitter
place

Location

Minneapolis (Minn.)44.90445, -93.27425
Google Map of 44.9044513, -93.2742495
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html