Washburn-Crosby Milling Complex, Washburn 'A' Mill, 700-709 South First & Second Streets, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
1989 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: The Washburn "A" Mill is the only structure remaining from the original Minneapolis milling complex established by Cadwallader C. Washburn in the 1870's. As such it is the most significant link between the Washburn-Crosby Milling Company of the 19th century and the vast operations of the present-day General Mills. The Washburn "A" Mill was erected originally in 1874 and rebuilt in 1879-80. It was equipped in the beginning exactly as the now-demolished Washburn "C" Mill. The Washburn "A" Mill recalls the structure's role as the nation's first automatic, all-roller, gradual reduction mill.
Survey number: HABS MN-69-A
Building/structure dates: 1878 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 83004388