Warner Ranch, Barn-Trading Post, San Felipe Road (State Highway S2), Warner Springs, San Diego County, CA
Structure is associated with the Santa Fe Trail, Camp Wright, & the Battle of San Pasqual.
Significance: Warner's Ranch is a landmark of the history of the American West. It is strongly associated with important historical themes, including Mexican and American culture contact during the Mexican Republic; the frontier period in American westward migration, trade, and settlement; and the Gold Rush. The geographical importance of the area as an overland migration route during the 19th century and its excellent livestock pasturage were important elements in its development. American Jonathan Trumbull Warner, an early immigrant to Mexican California, originally occupied the valley in 1844 for the purpose of cattle ranching. He later built a trading post to take advantage of the overland migration trade resulting from the Gold Rush of 1848 through the early 1850s. The original adobe portion of the existing Warner's Ranch Barn may be part of that trading post. The building later became a station for the Butterfield Overland mail. In the late 19th century, a wood, peg-timbered barn was built to support large-scale cattle ranching. It was directly associated with the success of two of the largest cattle ranching businesses in Southern California between the late 1880s and 1961. Warner's Ranch was recognized as a site of exceptional importance in American history in 1962, when the United States Department of the Interior, National Park Service identified it as a National Historic Landmark.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-201
Survey number: HABS CA-425
Building/structure dates: 1845 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1858 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000228