Walter Luther Dodge House, 950 North Kings Road, West Hollywood District, Los Angeles, Los Angeles County, CA
Significance: The Dodge House is an unusually well-preserved example of the architecture of Irving Gill; it is a culmination of his genius, a rare example of the early manifestations of the International Style, and also one of the great monuments of the early experimental architecture of reinforced concrete.
Irving John Gill's aesthetic arose out of the technology he invented for concrete. The Dodge House is his most mature experimentation. His forms, the arch and the cube, were influenced by the California Missions. His plans reflect indigenous adobe buildings. The Dodge House, built in 1916, is a milestone because it drew together so many of the elements which were to shape modern architecture: cubistic forms emphasized by their whiteness, the stripping away of ornament, and an aesthetic based on interchangeability.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-218
Survey number: HABS CA-355
Building/structure dates: 1914- 1916 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1970 Demolished