The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
View looking north on Fourth Street towards the Chestnut Street intersection. The Planter's Hotel is on the northwest corner

View looking north on Fourth Street towards the Chestnut Street intersection. The Planter's Hotel is on the northwest corner

 
 
description

Summary

View looking north on Fourth Street towards the Chestnut Street intersection. The Planter's Hotel is on the northwest corner.
The original Planters Hotel opened in St. Louis in 1817. It underwent restoration in 1841, and in 1891 reopened because of a fire four years previously. During the middle of the 19th century the Planters Hotel was a premier hotel destination in St. Louis, attracting guests such as Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, William T. Sherman, Charles Dickens, P.T. Barnum and Tom Thumb. During the Civil War the hotel served as a neutral ground in St. Louis where leaders from both sides could visit and negotiate. It was the first hotel to offer patrons the option of storing their valuables in a safe, and the “Tom and Jerry,” and “Tom Collins” cocktails were both invented there. The hotel was waning by the beginning of the 20th century and by 1922 it was turned into an office building. The structure was eventually torn down in 1933.Title: View looking north on Fourth Street towards the Chestnut Street intersection. The Planter's Hotel is on the northwest corner.

date_range

Date

1910
create

Source

Missouri History Museum
copyright

Copyright info

public domain