U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Naval Housing Area Hale Alii, Commandant's Quarters, 6 Hale Alii Avenue, Pearl City, Honolulu County, HI
Significance: Facility 1000 is an excellent example of early twentieth-century Craftsman-style architecture. The Commandant's Quarters is the largest and most architecturally elaborate of the thirteen quarters in the Hale Alii housing area. The structure is distinctive for its use of materials such as local lava rock (basalt), rustic wood shingle siding and roofing, and ohia (a local hardwood) flooring, as well as for its design. Significant design features include balustraded balconies, decorative wood brackets at the roofs and porticos, jigsawn rafters, multi-light wood doors and windows; as well as ornamental interior moldings, such as pedimented head casings at doors and windows, and free-standing and engaged columns/pilasters at the entry vestibule.
Further, Facility 1000 is notable as the residence of the Commandant (Commanding Officer) of the 14th Naval District and the Navy Yard. This position was the highest-ranking naval officer in Hawaii until 1939, when the headquarters of the Pacific Fleet moved from California to Hawaii. The first resident was Rear Admiral Charles B.T. Moore. At the time of the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, Rear Admiral Claude C. Bloch, Commandant, 14th Naval District, was in residence.
Survey number: HABS HI-357-A
Building/structure dates: 1914 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1946 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1947 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1948 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1965 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1999 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000940