U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, Forge Shop & Galvanizing Shop, Sixth Street between Avenues D & E, Pearl City, Honolulu County, HI
Significance: These two facilities are part of an important grouping of historic buildings including Facility 4 (HABS HI-359), 4A (HABS HI-360), 8 (HABS HI-446), 9 (HABS HI-487), and 13 (HABS HI-462) all located within the same block between 6th and 7th Street and Avenues D and E. This grouping is significant as a part of a core grouping of buildings in the initial base. Facility 5 was constructed in 1913 as part of the initial establishment of the naval base at Pearl Harbor. Facility 5A which abuts the south side of expansion of Shipyard Shop facilities during WWII. Located within the Pearl Harbor National Historic Landmark, these two buildings are of a distinctive type and period of construction. Over the years these two buildings have provided forging, blacksmithing, heat treatment for strengthening and galvanizing services for the nearby dry docks.
Survey number: HABS HI-484
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000940