University of Mississippi, Skipworth House, 508 University Avenue, Oxford, Lafayette County, MS
Additional research shows that the name of the structure was actually "Skipwith House," named after well-known resident Kate Skipwith. The name was corrected from "Skipworth House" to "Skipwith House," 11/2014.
Significance: The Skipwith House is significant for its association with the Skipwith family, particularly Mary Skipwith Buie and Kate Skipwith, whose art and antique collections served as the basis of the University of Mississippi Museum. The house was subject of a legal case after the death of Kate Skipwith and demolished some time after 1974-1975.
Survey number: HABS MS-246
Building/structure dates: after 1974 Demolished
Building/structure dates: 1877 Initial Construction