United Engineering Company Shipyard, Boiler House, 2900 Main Street, Alameda, Alameda County, CA
Field notes with main record CA-295
Significance: The boiler house is a contributing structure in the United Engineering Company Shipyard historic district that has been determined eligible for the National Register of Historic Places. The United Engineering Company Shipyard, established in 1941 to build and repair ships for the U.S. Navy, is the last surviving of several large World War II shipyards in Alameda. United Engineering built 21 tugboats and repaired hundreds of ships during the war. The facility was one of the largest employers in Alameda and played an important economic and social role in the city. In addition to its role in the shipyard, this building was also part of a previous operation at this site - the West Alameda Yard of the Southern Pacific Company. The West Alameda Yard was developed in 1911 for the maintenance and repair of electric cars on the East Bay transit lines of Southern Pacific. This building has been important in both the rail yard and shipyard eras as the source of steam and in the shipyard era as the source of compressed air for the operation of machinery.
Survey number: HAER CA-295-D
Building/structure dates: 1911 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1941 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1945 Subsequent Work