U. S. Military Academy, Married Enlisted Men's Quarters, West Point, Orange County, NY
Significance: Quarters No. 344 is an example of late 19th century housing to accommodate the expansion at the military post at West Point. Numerous similar structures were built at the time in the area north of the cemetery, separating the men of the post from the cadets at the Academy.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-363
Survey number: HABS NY-5708-53
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000562
The United States Military Academy, also known as West Point sits on scenic high ground overlooking the Hudson River, 50 miles north of New York City. The Academy traces its roots to 1801, when President Thomas Jefferson directed that plans be set in motion to establish the United States Military Academy. The entire central campus is a national landmark and home to scores of historic sites, buildings, and monuments.