U. S. Military Academy, Building No. 674, West Point, Orange County, NY
Significance: The Hotel Thayer was built on the campus of the U.S. Military Academy in 1925-26 by a private firm to house visiting families of cadets, dignitaries, and tourists. The hotel was purchased by the federal government in 1943, and became the only hotel owned and operated by the federal government. The present hotel is the successor to the West Point Hotel, which stood at Trophy Point from 1820-1932.
Historically, the Hotel Thayer is associated with important persons, including many Presidents and other military and diplomatic leaders who stayed there. In recent history, the Thayer received the 52 Americans who had been held hostage in Iran from November 1979 to January 1981.
The Hotel Thayer was designed by Caughey and Evans with consulting architects George B. Post * Sons, well-known for their design of hotels. The prominent firm of York and Sawyer designed an addition in 1946. The hotel's Tudor Gothic style interpreted in granite and brick is compatible with the predominant character of the USMA, yet distinct. The Thayer is a typical example of 1920s hotel, in its construction during a national boom in hotel development, and in design elements such as the two-story lobby with gallery, a plan allowing maximum light and air to each guest room, and its use of a historical decorative style.
Survey number: HABS NY-5708-60
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000562
The United States Military Academy, also known as West Point sits on scenic high ground overlooking the Hudson River, 50 miles north of New York City. The Academy traces its roots to 1801, when President Thomas Jefferson directed that plans be set in motion to establish the United States Military Academy. The entire central campus is a national landmark and home to scores of historic sites, buildings, and monuments.