PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Source
Thomas Gaddis House, 300 yards east of old U.S. Route 119 near intersection of Route 859, Uniontown, Fayette County, PA

Thomas Gaddis House, 300 yards east of old U.S. Route 119 near intersection of Route 859, Uniontown, Fayette County, PA

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: Fort Gaddis is the oldest known building in Fayette County and the second oldest log building in western Pennsylvania. It was built ca. 1769-74 by Thomas Gaddis who was in charge of the defense of the region and his home was probably designated as a site for community meetings and shelter in times of emergency, hence the term "Fort Gaddis," probably a 19th century appellation. During the Whiskey Rebellion a Liberty Pole was erected at the house during a rally in support of the Rebel cause. The choice of this site for a political demonstration indicates its importance as a focal point for community expression. The fact that all the additions to the building were removed in the early 20th century in respect for the section contemporary with the Revolution and Rebellion is evidence of the building's long standing and continuing status and power as a community symbol.
Survey number: HABS PA-5474
Building/structure dates: ca. 1769- ca. 1774 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: before 1798 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after 1866 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: after 1880 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: ca. 1909 Subsequent Work

person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Brownfield, Basil
Gaddis, Thomas
Daughters of the American Revolution
America's Industrial Heritage Project (AIHP), sponsor
Madrid, Chris, transmitter
Baldwin, Jennifer L, transmitter
Lowe, Jet, photographer
Wallace, Kim E, historian
Peterson, Charles E, photographer
place

Location

create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html