The old town square in tiny Helvetia, once a Swiss colony in Randolph County, West Virginia
- Upscale 2x4344x2896
Title, date and keywords based on information provided by the photographer.
The woodsy community was settled by a group of Swiss and German immigrants who came to the rugged, remote hills of West Virginia in 1869. Their numbers, in addition to farmers, included many craftsmen: stone masons, wagon and shoe makers, carpenters, as well as professionals such as a musician, a doctor, and a teacher. The isolated community is known today (in 2015) for maintaining Swiss traditions, food, and folkways.
Credit line: West Virginia Collection within the Carol M. Highsmith Archive, Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
Purchase; Carol M. Highsmith Photography, Inc.; 2015; (DLC/PP-2015:055).
Forms part of: West Virginia Collection within the Carol M. Highsmith Archive.