PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
The Hermitage, U.S. Highway 70 North (4580 Rachel's Lane), Nashville, Davidson County, TN

The Hermitage, U.S. Highway 70 North (4580 Rachel's Lane), Nashville, Davidson County, TN

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: The Hermitage and five hundred acres of adjoining land were bought by the State in 1856. It is believed that the brick building was begun in 1818. There is no record of the architect. ... Much furniture and equipment was brought back from Pensacola, Florida, when General Jackson was appointed Governor of the Floridas. In 1824 the chapel was built, most of the work having been done while General Jackson was in Washington as senator from Tennessee. The Hermitage is owned by the state of Tennessee and is under the control of the Ladies' Hermitage Association.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N376
Survey number: HABS TN-52
Building/structure dates: 1819 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000722

date_range

Date

1933 - 1970
person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Cary, Brian, transmitter
place

Location

Nashville (Tenn.)36.16266, -86.78160
Google Map of 36.1626638, -86.7816016
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html

Explorenashville