The Hermitage, U.S. Highway 70 North (4580 Rachel's Lane), Nashville, Davidson County, TN
Significance: The Hermitage and five hundred acres of adjoining land were bought by the State in 1856. It is believed that the brick building was begun in 1818. There is no record of the architect. ... Much furniture and equipment was brought back from Pensacola, Florida, when General Jackson was appointed Governor of the Floridas. In 1824 the chapel was built, most of the work having been done while General Jackson was in Washington as senator from Tennessee. The Hermitage is owned by the state of Tennessee and is under the control of the Ladies' Hermitage Association.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N376
Survey number: HABS TN-52
Building/structure dates: 1819 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000722