The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
The Capitol from the Library steps, Washington

Similar

The Capitol from the Library steps, Washington

description

Summary

Copyright 1898 by Detroit Photographic Co.
Title from item.
Title on inventory list: The Capital from the Library steps.
Caption for similar image (LC-USZ62-94485) lists title as: [View of the Capitol from Library of Congress steps].
Detroit Publishing Co. no. "53214".
Forms part of: Photochrom Print Collection.
More information about the Photochrom Print Collection is available at http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/pp.pgz

Photochrome is a process for producing colorized images from black-and-white photographic negatives via the direct photographic transfer of a negative onto lithographic printing plates. The process was invented in the 1880s and was most popular in the 1890s.

United States Capitol Free Sock Photos. Public Domain, Royalty Free Images. The United States Capitol, often called the Capitol Building or Capitol Hill, is the home of the United States Congress, and the seat of the legislative branch of the U.S. federal government. President George Washington in 1791 selected the area that is now the District of Columbia from land ceded by Maryland. French engineer Pierre Charles L'Enfant who planned the new city of Washington located the Capitol at the elevated east end of the Mall, on the brow of what was then called Jenkins' Hill. The site was, in L'Enfant's words, "a pedestal waiting for a monument." President Washington laid the cornerstone of the U.S. Capitol in the building's southeast corner on September 18, 1793, with Masonic ceremonies. Construction was a time-consuming process: the sandstone used for the building had to be ferried on boats from the quarries at Aquia, Virginia and workers had to be induced to leave their homes to come to the relative wilderness of Capitol Hill. Some third-floor rooms were still unfinished when the Congress, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress, and the courts of the District of Columbia occupied the U.S. Capitol in late 1800.

The Detroit Publishing Company was started by publisher William A. Livingstone and photographer Edwin H. Husher. ln 1905 that the company called itself the Detroit Publishing Company. The best-known photographer for the company was William Henry Jackson, who joined the company in 1897. The company acquired exclusive rights to use a form of photography processing called Photochrom. Photochrom allowed for the company to mass-market postcards and other materials in color. We at GetArchive are admirers of their exceptional high-resolution scans of glass negatives collection from the Library of Congress. By the time of World War I, the company faced declining sales both due to the war economy and the competition from cheaper, more advanced printing methods. The company declared bankruptcy in 1924 and was liquidated in 1932.

date_range

Date

01/01/1898
person

Contributors

Detroit Photographic Co.
place

Location

Washington, District of Columbia, United States38.90719, -77.03687
Google Map of 38.9071923, -77.03687070000001
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on publication.

Explore more

united states capitol washington dc
united states capitol washington dc
capitols
capitols
government facilities
government facilities
washington dc
washington dc
photochrom prints
photochrom prints
color
color
capitol
capitol
library
library
steps
steps
library steps
library steps
washington
washington
united states capitol
united states capitol
historic sites
historic sites
american history
american history
capitol building exterior
capitol building exterior
19th century
19th century
cleveland park washington dc
cleveland park washington dc
lot 13923
lot 13923
detroit photographic co
detroit photographic co
print
print
ultra high resolution
ultra high resolution
high resolution
high resolution
us capitol
us capitol
detroit publishing company
detroit publishing company
united states history
united states history