Thalia Hall, 1215-1225 West Eighteenth Street, Chicago, Cook County, IL
2005 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: In 1892, John Dusek, an immigrant from Bohemia, began to make plans to develop the corner of 18th St. and Allport St. as a public gathering place, no known as Thalia Hall. Named after the Greek muse of comedy and of playful and idyllic poetry, the hall became the local meeting place of the community. Modeled after an opera house in Hamburg, Germany, Thalia Hall was designed by Frederick E, Farber, a Danish Immigrant, and his partner William F. Pageis.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1085
Survey number: HABS IL-1220
Building/structure dates: 1892 Initial Construction