Tacony, Hamilton Disston School, North side of 4400 block of Knorr Street, between Cottage & Gillespie Streets, Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, PA
Significance: Named for a son of Henry Disston, the Hamilton Disston School honors a man who was actively involved in Tacony affairs throughout his life. The school plant reflects the radical modernization of elementary and secondary school buildings in the 1920s and 1930s. Constructed using "fireproof" materials, heated by steam, lighted by electricity, and containing a well-appointed auditorium that included a "motion picture booth" and a gymnasium, the school utilized many of the available improvements in layout and material.
Survey number: HABS PA-6692-G
Building/structure dates: 1923-1926 Initial Construction