Sutliff's Ferry Bridge, Spanning Cedar River (Cedar Township), Solon, Johnson County, IA
Significance: Based on current findings from the Iowa Department of Transportation's truss bridge inventory, Sutliff's Ferry Bridge is believed to be the longest (approximately 825 feet) and oldest, Parker truss span presently known on the state's secondary road system. It was built to facilitate farm-to-market travel, at the site of a ferry that had operated from the early 1840's until the late 19th century. Sutliff's Ferry Bridge was designed by Johnson County Engineer George W. Wynn. Steel, supplied by Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, was fabricated by Fair-Williams Bridge and Manufacturing Co. of Ottumwa, Iowa. Contractor for erection was J.R. Sheely & Co., of Des Moines, Iowa.
Survey number: HAER IA-6
Building/structure dates: 1898 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 98000520