Superintendent's House, Magnolia Avenue, Granite, Granite County, MT
Significance: The Granite Townsite was laid out in the summer of 1884. Known as the Silver Queen City she reached her heydey in 1889 when the production of the mines ran as high as $250,000 to $275,000 a month. The Granite Mountain Mining Company Superintendent Thomas Weir and his wife lived in this two story stone house located on Magnolia Avenue. all of the houses on this street were located on the upper side of the road backed against the steep mountain side. This street was referred to as "Silk Stocking Row" because it was here that the mine officials and white collar workers and their families lived. Access to the second floor of the building was gained from the upper roadway by means of a wooden gangway. This space apparently served as the mine office. Not only was this the sole stone structure in town according to the records of 1889, but also the only building having its interior finished in plaster. Of interest in the building's design is the masonry food vault off the kitchen and the lack of stairs connecting the two floors. The Silver Panic of 1893 was felt in Granite on August 1, 1893. Some 3,000 inhabitants left Granite in a 24 hour period. Now a ghost town Granite experienced being reborn several times.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-16
Survey number: HABS MT-16
Building/structure dates: after. 1884- before. 1889 Initial Construction