Stewart Company Grain Elevator, 16 West Carson Street, Pittsburgh, Allegheny County, PA
Significance: The 1913 elevator replaced an earlier elevator on the same site and was the first concrete grain elevator in Pittsburgh. A rail siding connected the structure to the Panhandle Division of the Pennsylvania Railroad. In 1945, a second elevator was built adjacent to the earlier structure. The elevator continues to function using some machinery dating from the 1913-1945 buildings. The elevator is a rare surviving of Pittsburgh's grain processing industry.
Survey number: HAER PA-381
Building/structure dates: 1913 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1928 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1945 Subsequent Work