The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
St. Thomas' Church, 14300 St. Thomas' Church Road at Croom Road, Croom, Prince George's County, MD

St. Thomas' Church, 14300 St. Thomas' Church Road at Croom Road, Croom, Prince George's County, MD

 
 
description

Summary

Significance: St. Thomas' Episcopal Church is one of the earliest Episcopal churches in Southern Maryland, and one of the most intact. It is also notable for its associations with important early citizens, particularly Rev. John Eversfield and Bishop Thomas John Clagett. The original main block was built in cruciform plan in 1742. The Gothic Revival pointed-arched window and the apse were added in 1858, and the bell tower, in 1888. The church an important county as well as community landmark is in excellent condition, having had its few missing original features restored after careful study in 1958.
Survey number: HABS MD-631
Building/structure dates: 1742-1745 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1858-1859 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1888 Subsequent Work
Building/structure dates: 1958 Subsequent Work

date_range

Date

1933 - 1970
person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Eversfield, John
Clagett, Thomas John
Page, Daniel
Priest, John W
Allen, William H
Grigg, Milton L
Calvert, Benedict Leonard
Custis, Eleanor Calvert
Boucher, Jack E, photographer
Bostrup, John O, photographer
Lavoie, Catherine C, historian
place

Location

Croom Acres38.75250, -76.76417
Google Map of 38.7525, -76.764167
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html