St. John's Chapel, Intersection Routes 617 & 638, Waldrop, Louisa County, VA
1987 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Honorable Mention
Significance: St. John's Chapel is an excellent example of the Gothic Revival idiom expressed in vernacular architecture, popularly known as carpenter gothic. Has had continual use as a chapel. St. John's Chapel is a prime example of the rural Gothic style found in the southern United States, which drew from such sources as the work of A.W.N. Pugin and Andrew Jackson Downing. The chapel is largely unaltered from its original condition.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-339
Survey number: HABS VA-1238
Building/structure dates: 1888 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 73002036