St. Elizabeths Hospital, Hagan Hall, 2700 Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue, Southeast, 578-586 Redwood Street, Southeast, Washington, District of Columbia, DC
For an overview of the Culture and Recreation Buildings, see HABS DC-349-CA
Significance: Hagan Hall (Building 38) is significant for its association with the treatment of mental illness on the St. Elizabeths Campus. Upon its completion in 1942, Hagan Hall served as a support building in the daily lives of the patients. Its distinctive Colonial Revival architectural character incorporates design features typical of other historic buildings on campus, including eclectic masonry detailing, ornamental dormers, and divided light double-hung windows.
Hagan Hall was designed by the New York architectural firm of Trowbridge and Livingston and built in 1942, replacing an earlier wood frame structure used by the Red Cross to provide services to patients at St. Elizabeths Hospital. U-shaped in plan, the front of Hagan Hall consists of a large (50' x100'), two-story rectangular room which was used for social events and activities. Two shorter, two-story wings extend to the rear, originally housing various offices and support functions. Hagan Hall was designed in the Georgian Revival style, with load-bearing brick masonry walls supporting the concrete slabs of the second floor and flat roof above the wings. A prominent hip roof, supported by steel trusses and shingled with slates, covers the front assembly room. Interior walls and ceilings were plastered. The floors of the assembly room and the two lobbies were finished with terrazzo.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N990
Survey number: HABS DC-349-R
Building/structure dates: 1942 Initial Construction
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 79003101