Sinaihalbinsel Ostseite, Insel Grêje oder Ǧezīret Farʻûn mit mittelalterlichem Kastell. 1914.
Plate 87 in portfolio: Bilder aus Palästina. Nord-Arabien und dem Sinai. Berlin : Dietrich Riemer, 1916.
Letterpress caption in German.
Title from item. Translated title by Library staff.
Photograph taken from the western coast of the Gulf of Aqaba, looking east and showing Pharaohs Island (Geziret Faru'n, to the south of the international boundary line & later border crossing point). (Source: A. Shams, Sinai Peninsula Research, 2018)
The ruins of Byzantine fortress and chapels (365-640 CE) were re-occupied by the Crusaders in 1116 CE, and the fortress was later captured and expanded by Salah El Din in 1170 CE who built the fortifications on Geziret Faru'n. Tarabien (16th century CE) and Lihywat (17th century CE) tribes inhabit the vicinity of Wadi Taba. A standoff between the British, who effectively controlled Egypt from 1882 CE onward, and the Ottoman Empire since the first crisis in 1892 CE, ended with Taba border crisis in 1906 CE and created the eastern border of the Sinai. Taba was (and still) the east most Egyptian desert frontier outpost in Sinai (where the frontier outposts extended in Hijaz on the east coast of the Gulf of Aqaba before 1892 CE) to the south of the international boundary line between Sinai Peninsula (Egypt under the British Mandate) and the Negev Desert (Palestine under the Ottoman Empire), in addition to the frontier outpost in Nuweiba' to the south on the west coast of the Gulf of Aqaba. The first asphalt road along the Gulf of Aqaba was constructed by Israel Defense Forces (IDF) in 1971 CE during the Sinai occupation between 1967 and 1982 CE, to connect Eilat at the head of the gulf with Sharm El Sheikh on its southern tip on the Strait of Tiran through Dahab, Nuweiba' and Taba. The control of Egypt over Taba was re-consolidated post the 'Treaty of Peace between the Arab Republic of Egypt and the State of Israel' on March 26, 1979 CE and as a result of the 'Taba Arbitration' by the International Court of Justice on September 29, 1988 CE and the 'Egypt-Israel Taba Agreement' on February 27, 1989 CE. (Source: A. Shams, Sinai Peninsula Research, 2018)