Sinaihalbinsel Ostseite, Ehemaliger ägyptischer Posten Nuwêbiʻ. 1914.
Plate 88 in portfolio: Bilder aus Palästina. Nord-Arabien und dem Sinai. Berlin : Dietrich Riemer, 1916.
Letterpress caption in German.
Title from item. Translated title by Library staff.
Photograph taken from the outlet of Wadi Watir into the Gulf of Aqaba to the south of Wasit area on the coast, looking south and showing the downstream area (alluvial plain) of Wadi Watir from right to left, the Egyptian desert frontier fortress of Nuweiba' in the centre, the Bedouin coastal oasis from centre-left to left, and the mountain range of Tala't Miman in the background from right to centre-left, from an approximate 5 km distance. (Source: A. Shams, Sinai Peninsula Research, 2018)
Qunswa El Ghouri, the Mamluk Sultan of Egypt (1501-1516 CE), built a fortress in Nuweiba' in early 16th century CE. Tarabien (16th century CE) and Mezena (17th century CE) tribes inhabit the vicinity of Nuweiba'. Abbas Helmi II, the Khedive of Egypt (1892-1914), built the Egyptian desert frontier fortress of Nuweiba' in 1893 CE. The first asphalt road along the Gulf of Aqaba was constructed by Israel Defense Forces (IDF) in 1971 CE during the Sinai occupation between 1967 and 1982 CE, to connect Eilat at the head of the gulf with Sharm El Sheikh on its southern tip on the Strait of Tiran through Dahab, Nuweiba' and Taba. Neviot the Israeli settlement in Nuweiba' was constructed during the same year to the south of the 19th century CE fortress and to the north of El Qarnus area. (Source: A. Shams, Sinai Peninsula Research, 2018)