PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
Second Presbyterian Church, 1936 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Cook County, IL

Second Presbyterian Church, 1936 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Cook County, IL

 
 
description

Summary

STORED ON SITE. mchr
2011 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: Originally designed by noted architect James Renwick and built in 1874, Second Presbyterian Church was later remodeled in 1900 due to devastating fire that destroyed the interior. The subsequent interior, executed by architect Howard Van Doren Shaw and artist Frederick Clay Bartlett, is a tour de force of the Arts and Crafts style and remains the finest of its type in Chicago.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: N1696
Survey number: HABS IL-328
Building/structure dates: 1874 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: ca. 1900 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 74000756

date_range

Date

1939 - 1970
person

Contributors

Historic American Buildings Survey, creator
Renwick, James
Shaw, Howard Van Doren
Bartlett, Frederick Clay
Tiffany & Co
William Morris Studios
Healey & Millet
Kline, William Fair
Burne-Jones, Edward
Pipal, Charles, AIA, faculty sponsor
Parks, Susan, field team project manager
Gallagher, Katy
Tyre, William
Gilchrist, Coleman
place

Location

create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on images made by the U.S. Government; images copied from other sources may be restricted. http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/114_habs.html