Roaring Creek Friends Meeting House, Quaker Meeting Road, Numidia, Columbia County, PA
Significance: Roaring Creek Meeting House, built in 1795, is of interest for both its log construction and its two-cell design with unequally sized meeting rooms. The latter was indicative of an early English pattern of meetings, and was generally not incorporated into American Friends' meeting house designs of this period. And while log meeting houses were often built during the period of early settlement within the Delaware Valley, they were quickly replaced with more permanent construction. Roaring Creek and nearby Catawissa are the only extant log meeting houses built under the care of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting. Roaring Creek's rustic construction and out-dated plan may be indicative of its "frontier" location, far removed from the direct influence of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting.
Survey number: HABS PA-6691
Building/structure dates: 1795 Initial Construction