Roanoke Municipal Building & Annex, 216 Campbell Avenue Southwest & 215 Church Avenue Southwest, Roanoke, Roanoke City, VA
- Upscale 2x7680x6200
Significance: The Municipal Complex area (Courthouse, Municipal Building, Police Station, Jail, and Court Facility now being built) symbolize the steady growth and progress of the City. It also reflects the centralization of city offices, enhancing efficiency and creating an environment where cooperation between departments is facilitated. Also in the early seventies, the City structure was reorganized pulling together departments with common factors. A director who reports to the City Manager was placed over each of these clusters. Architecturally, the significance of these buildings is their harmony. The 1915 neo-classical revival structure was common of government architecture of the time. The 1969 municipal building repeats and reflects the basic design elements of the older structure. The new jail and court facility and even the renovation of the buildings for the police station harmonize with the new municipal building to the extent that scale, texture, materials and design elements all blend to create a modern, clean and efficient image. The City of Roanoke is creating an impressive center of local government services and administration.
Survey number: HABS VA-35
Building/structure dates: 1915 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1969 Subsequent Work