Reminiscences of Imperial Delhi Skinner's Tomb, St. Jame's Church, Delhi
Details of the tomb of Colonel James Skinner C.B. at St. James' Church, Delhi (left Page), Folio from Reminiscences of Imperial Delhi’, an album consisting of 89 folios containing approximately 130 paintings of views of the Mughal and pre-Mughal monuments of Delhi, by Thomas Metcalfe, 1843. Details: The Remains of the Brave and good Skinner were placed in a Vault of white marble immediately below the Communion Table [The marble slab with inscription: H.S. Colonel James Skinner, C.B. “Forty Days were fulfilled for him.” Gen. L, 3; decorations (his helmet and sabre) and motto (Ultrumque paratus) covering the tomb of Col. James Skinner.] and covered by a Slab of Black Marble representing the Helmet and Sabre of the Deceased with the Coat of Arms and motto of the Family “Ultrumque paratus”, prepared on every side.
James Skinner (1778-1841) was of mixed parentage, born of a Scottish father and a Rajput mother. At the age of 16, he was taken under the wing of the French commander of Maharaja Scindia's forces. He went on to fight in many battles and set up his own irregular cavalry called 'Skinner's horse'. St. James's Church in Delhi was founded by Skinner, who while lying wounded on the battle field vowed that if he survived, he would build a church in thanksgiving. Begun in 1826 and completed 10 years later, it is the oldest church in Delhi. After Skinner's death at Hansi in December 1841, he was buried in the Church in January 1842.
From 'Reminiscences of Imperial Delhi’, an album consisting of 89 folios containing approximately 130 paintings of views of the Mughal and pre-Mughal monuments of Delhi, as well as other contemporary material, with an accompanying manuscript text written by Sir Thomas Theophilus Metcalfe (1795-1853), the Governor-General’s Agent at the imperial court. Acquired with the assistance of the Heritage Lottery Fund and of the National Art-Collections Fund.