Presidio of San Francisco, Old Station Hospital, Funston Avenue & Lincoln Boulevard, San Francisco, San Francisco County, CA
1989 Charles E. Peterson Prize, Entry
Significance: In 1864, in the midst of the Civil War, the Wright Army Hospital was built to replace an earlier, deteriorating structure. The elegant, southern style architecture was subdued by the urgency of the hospital's function through the wars. With a steady growth in hospital use, additions such as the west wing of 1889, the porch addition and the octagon of 1897 were established. Later, the structure served as a secondary hospital as the Army General Hospital was built. Through the Korean War, the Presidio of San Francisco and the Wright Army Hospital served as an "outback" station for the United States Army. In 1973, the hospital was converted into the Presidio Army Museum after its use as a hospital declined and the need to remember our heroes grew.
Unprocessed Field note material exists for this structure: FN-148
Survey number: HABS CA-1216
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000232