Pig Alley Block Study, 702-704 Plum Street (Double House), Petersburg, Petersburg, VA
Significance: This building, probably constructed c. 1835, is a double worker's tenement in a village complex of workers houses. The complex was built for workers in the many flour and cotton mills which were located 500 feet north along the Appomattox River. This building is interesting since its form is a derivation of similar forms which were used in Colonial houses in Tidewater Virginia, and because it is built of brick; the others in the area are of frame construction.
Survey number: HABS VA-656
Building/structure dates: ca. 1835 Initial Construction