PICRYL
PICRYLThe World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
Picnic at Cleveland Lighthouse, ca. 1871

Picnic at Cleveland Lighthouse, ca. 1871

 
 
description

Summary

Picnic at Cleveland Lighthouse, ca. 1871
Cleveland was called 'Emu Point' by the squatters who knew the district in the 1840s. Then Assistant Surveyor Warner named it in honour of the Duke of Cleveland (also known as Baron Raby) in July 1851. Throughout the 1870s, it was a popular watering-place, patronised by day-trippers, convalescent patients and early holiday-makers. The lighthouse, the second in the area, was erected in 1864, and remained at this location until 1975, when it was moved about 30 metres away and replaced with a new light.

date_range

Date

1871
create

Source

State Library of Queensland
copyright

Copyright info

public domain