Pendule à orgues, Le Concert de singes, Meissen porcelain manufactory
Pendule rocaille à jeu d'orgues apparent, agrémentée de seize figures en porcelaine de Meissen
Signature - Mouvement signé et numéroté par Jean Moisy à Paris : "558"
Un orchestre de singes musiciens en costume de cour du XVIIIe siècle suit la baguette d'un chef d'orchestre. Les seize figurines de singes en porcelaine de Meissen (dont treize modèles différents) et les trois pupitres sont diposés sur trois niveaux devant un buffet d'orgues surmonté d'un cadran d'horloge. L'orgue possède un répertoire de douze airs, par Lully et Philidor, pour marquer les heures.Autour des singes-musiciens et des tuyaux d'orgues, les bronzes dorés dessinent des guirlandes et des festons d'une rare harmonie.Cette composition est complétée par un décor de branches émaillées et de fleurs au naturel en porcelaine de Vincennes-Sèvres.Dans le socle en bois est dissimulée une boîte à musique, ajoutée ou transformée au XIXe siècle.
Johann Joachim Kandler was a prominent German sculptor of the 18th century. He was born on 16 September 1706 in Fischbach, Saxony, and began his career as an apprentice at the Meissen porcelain factory. Kandler quickly rose through the ranks, becoming the factory's chief modeller in 1731. During his time at Meissen, Kandler created many famous sculptures, including the Four Continents and the Swan Service. He was renowned for his ability to create lifelike figures and animals, and his work was highly sought after by collectors throughout Europe. In 1756 Kandler left Meissen and moved to St Petersburg, where he worked for the Empress Elisabeth of Russia. He created many sculptures for the Russian court, including a series of porcelain figurines depicting scenes from Aesop's Fables. Kandler returned to Germany in 1764 and settled in Dresden, where he worked as a sculptor until his death on 18 April 1775. Today, his works can be found in museums and private collections around the world, and he is considered one of the most important sculptors of the 18th century.
The Vincennes Porcelain Manufactory was founded in 1740 in the town of Vincennes, France. It was the first porcelain factory in France and was established under the patronage of King Louis XV. The factory was set up to produce high quality porcelain to rival that produced in China. The Vincennes Porcelain Manufactory was renowned for its exquisite designs and fine craftsmanship. The factory produced a wide range of porcelain items including plates, cups, saucers, vases and figurines. The porcelain produced by the Vincennes factory was often decorated with intricate designs and painted in vibrant colours. In 1756, the Vincennes porcelain factory moved to the nearby town of Sèvres, where it became known as the Sèvres porcelain factory. The factory continued to produce high quality porcelain throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, becoming one of the most prestigious porcelain manufacturers in Europe. Today, Vincennes porcelain is highly sought after by collectors and can be found in museums and private collections around the world.
Collection - Johann Joachim Kandler (1706–1775)German sculptor who became the most important modeller of the Meissen porcelain manufactury, and arguably of all European porcelain. He worked at Meissen for over 40 years, from 1731 until his death in 1775.
Collection - Vincennes porcelainManufactory was established in 1740 in the disused royal Château de Vincennes, in Vincennes, east of Paris, which was from the start the main market for its wares.