Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, Building No. 58, Pearl Harbor Shipyard, South Corner of Avenue G & Sixth Street, Pearl City, Honolulu County, HI
- Upscale 2x7680x5944
Significance: Building No. 58 is a permanent, three-sided, two story industrial building, containing a floor area of 31,4000 square feet. This building consists of reinforced concrete footings, steel frame, metal siding, and a flat bituminous built-up on metal roof. Other than maintenance and repair work, there were no major alterations to the exterior of the building. Building No. 58 was originally constructed to function as a roundhouse for locomotives during World War II. This function as a roundhouse ended in 1948. Present function is to repair the Shipyard's equipment such as cranes, diesel engines, forklifts, generators and compressors. In 1964 the Secretary of the Interior, declared the U.S. Naval Base, Pearl Harbor, a National Historic Landmark. Following the establishment of the National Register of Historic Places in 1966, the Pearl Harbor Historic Landmark of which Building No. 58 is a part was included within this listing of America's historic sites.
Survey number: HAER HI-6
Building/structure dates: 1943 Initial Construction
Building/structure dates: 1978 Subsequent Work
National Register of Historic Places NRIS Number: 66000940