Partial view of a Building [Templum Veneris] from the series 'Ruinarum variarum fabricarum delineationes pictoribus caeterisque id genus artificibus multum utiles'
Perspectival depiction of the right half of a palace or temple, suggested to be the ‘Tenplus [sic] Veneris’, set in a stylized landscape. The building is characterized by a domed tower over the central bay. The right side of the building is composed of a single floor with two entryways. The entrance directly to the left of the central bay is marked by an avant-corps.This print and several others in this series published by Gerard de Jode were copied after a group of Italian architectural prints, previously attriputed to the Master G. A. with the Caltrop, and first published in Rome between 1530 and 1550. The prints depict buildings from Roman Antiquity, ranging from triumphal arches to bath houses, temples and palaces in Italy, France and Spain. Some of the buildings have been artificially reconstructed based on Medieval descriptions, while others are depicted in their ruinous states.
Lambert Suavius (Netherlandish, ca. 1510–by 1576)