The World's Largest Public Domain Media Search Engine
[Palace of Diocletian] - Print, Library of Congress collection

[Palace of Diocletian] - Print, Library of Congress collection

 
 
description

Summary

This record contains unverified data from PGA shelflist card.
Associated name on shelflist card: Basire.

The Baths of Diocletian (Thermae Diocletiani) in Rome were built from 298 to in 306. The Baths were commissioned by Maximian in honor of co-Emperor Diocletian in 298, the same year he returned from Africa. The Baths occupy the high-ground on the northeast summit of the Vimina hills in Rome. The water supply was provided by the Aqua Marcia and Aqua Antoniniana aqueducts. The Baths remained in use until the siege of Rome in 537 when the Ostrogothic king Vitiges cut off the aqueducts.

date_range

Date

1800 - 1900
create

Source

Library of Congress
copyright

Copyright info

No known restrictions on publication.